The odds of that

Murphdog

Beginner
Nov 28, 2005
Just got back from a little hunting with my wife always a good time. First had I been horn hunting I should not have cooked butterfly steaks last night from Betsy's deer. They were so good and I am very picky about my meat. Anyway I shot a porky little forky that was missing a horn. A twin to the one my wife shot a couple of weeks ago. The odds of two tiny racked whitetails that both had a missing left horn in the same year. Killed about two miles apart.

Chased a group of 8 elk including a little rag horn all afternoon. So close Betsy almost got a crack at him. Going back Sunday.

Genetics, there is a buck around there that is responsible for those two deer. Its good that you got them out of the gene pool chances are they would both pass it on! I have two such bucks in my back yard but they are not legal in my area,at this time. Maybe next year but I will bet that I will one or two more next year.

An area where I do a lot of mule deer hunting seams to have two pools of genes. One and the preferred have great double forks, maybe one fork not quite as well developed as the other three but... The other pool is producing some of the biggest three by three you will ever see. If their are three by three that can make book they are there.

Boy, do we ever have a mix of gene pool odd ball deer here in South Mississippi. Just off hand in the two places I hunt, I think I have discovered at least five pools, four for sure. It has a lot to do with taking does down her. We have to many does to buck ratio and it allows inferior bucks a chance to breed, that would not have a chance to if the doe numbers were consistently controlled. Also, some of our problem is the ground not having a lot of cross the board nutrients for our deer.

Back