The start of my .338 Edge

Going from 16lbs to 11lbs would mean 42lbs of recoil to 60lbs of recoil. That is for Fotis. It's rough enough shooting my 11-12lb .416 Rem. especially with 400gr bullets and it's only about 50lbs. 60lbs is about where my Lott is with 500gr bullets and I don't like shooting it even with a brake. I like 300's and 350's :mrgreen: . That is why I stopped building bigger caliber guns. If you don't like shooting them there is no reason to own them.

I am with you buddy. I don't like to be beat up by my rifles either. I am kinda thinking of the M70 416 Rem Mag to be honest. Should be fairly hefty but still portable enough to carry around a little. I would think that 350 Speer should be a super bullet to mess around with. I know your not a Winchester guy, but I figure if I am getting a rifle for big stuff, I might as well go all the way. I won't be looking to conquer ridges with it though!

Scotty,

Those 340gr .416 CEB bullets can darn near make a .416 Remington into a Edge or a Lapua. I shot 350's between 2650 and 2700fps. If it was throated for the 340's I bet 2700+fps would be doable. That is 2500+lbs of energy at 1000yds or about the same as a Edge/Lapua. You'll have a bit more drop and more recoil but that is some serious hp from a belted magnum case.

A 416 RUM would be a mega hammer on game for sure. It might be worth a brake. :wink:

JD338

All my stuff has a brake even my 6BR and 22BR :wink: . The problem is the larger the bore size the less effective a brake is. As the bore get's bigger more of the gas escapes behind the bullet rather than out the ports. About .375 seems to be where it start going down hill faster.

IdahoCTD":36nbrrmq said:
Scotty,

Those 340gr .416 CEB bullets can darn near make a .416 Remington into a Edge or a Lapua. I shot 350's between 2650 and 2700fps. If it was throated for the 340's I bet 2700+fps would be doable. That is 2500+lbs of energy at 1000yds or about the same as a Edge/Lapua. You'll have a bit more drop and more recoil but that is some serious hp from a belted magnum case.

Man, you are making me want one even more now!! I am not sure if I have anymore needs, but the 416's have been on my mind a bit lately... Still gotta buy elk/deer/wolf tags though!

Here it is in it's temporary home for testing since I couldn't wait. 1 1/2oz Jewel, HS stock, and 6.5x20 Leupold.

Attachments

• 338 edge 005.jpg
    338 edge 005.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 460
  • 338 edge 003.jpg
    338 edge 003.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 460
It might have to wait until this weekend. I have to break it in still. My loading room is right next to my 11 month old's room so I try not to make too much noise after he goes to bed and he's a handful before that. I have to do some loading though. I have to reload for my Lott and check the zero with the brass bullets soon so it's ready for da bears.

I've been thinking about it and I might do a full aluminum stock instead. I do metal fab constantly so it would be rather easy for me. I'm thinking of a stiff aluminum skeleton and a thin (.050") skin so it actually looks like a normal stock. I haven't figured it out just yet as I want to do a pistol grip style and I'm not sure how to do the skin on the buttstock.

The description of your rifle certainly sounds as if it will perform adequately (extreme understatement). It should be a real hammer. I can't imagine much, short of a poor hit, slipping away after being shot with that. Great stuff. If will be most interesting to see what you come up with on the stock.

DrMike":1erez0us said:
The description of your rifle certainly sounds as if it will perform adequately (extreme understatement). It should be a real hammer. I can't imagine much, short of a poor hit, slipping away after being shot with that. Great stuff. If will be most interesting to see what you come up with on the stock.

Well I started adding up the weights of the AL and I don't think I can keep it light enough to use AL and still be under 16lbs. So I'm back to the CF wrapping idea. I might still have to build a AL stock for something else just to do it.

I did load up some 300gr SMK's last night from 88-91grs of H-1000 to break it in, sight it in, and get some idea of what it likes with it's temporary stock and scope.

I wonder at what velocity one can push those 340's from the 416 Bee?

Supposedly they are getting 2990 with a long barreled 416RUM. So I bet it would be faster.

I bet they are long bullets and a typical Weatherby throat would be good for them. A lot of people are reporting up to 100fps faster with the CEB's then normal bullets.

I don't know how long it will be to get the McGowen barrel but when I get it it's going to be a .416 RUM in short order. I just hope it shoots. McGowens seem to be hit and miss sometimes. If it doesn't I'll order a Krieger or Bartlein. It was cheap enough that it was worth a shot as some people (a good friend of mine included) have reported some phenomenal accuracy with them but some say they are duds.

Back