Tikka 22.250 with 1:14 twist; what's best bullet weights?

rquack

Beginner
Nov 9, 2005
My son in law just bought himself a new Tikka in 22.250. It has a 1:14 rifling rate of twist. What would be the best bullets for accurately loading in this rifle? It will primarily be used for punching paper with my grandkids as an introduction to big and loud guns in preparation for moving them to deer rifles as they get older [versus shooting 22LR's], and maybe for a bit of coyote hunting.

Just love the process of developing a loads for new rifles but also like to buy the best components instead of aimlessly wandering until I stumble across the right combination. The knowledge shared here is tremendous; its is only topped by the experience of the members shooters who participate. This is a great forum and I extend my many thanks to the good folds at Nosler for hosting it.

For a 14 twist, figure it to stabilise a maximum bullet weight of 55 grains. There are exceptions, which can be pleasant when they are discovered.

A 14 twist bbl is a good match with the various 50gr bullets that are available. Some 14 twist rifles do not shoot well with the longer 55gr bullets but in a 22-250 they "should" work.
For starting the kids off, why not start with the 40gr bullets that produce the least recoil? They punch paper just fine and zap small vermin in an authoritative way. :grin:

For the use you post, I would buy a Box of 52gr HPFB and one of 52gr HPBT shoot both, Whichever proves more accurate Buy a bunch and keep shooting.

Thanks for the great advise. Now, it's off the SPS for a look at the stock....

Many thanks, again.

rquack

Sometimes the 55 grain plastic tip bullets from various makers will not stabilize in that slow twist. They're just long enough to not work well, sometimes, from some barrels.

I'd likely stick with the 50 - 53 gr shorter bullets, hollow points even.

Quite a cartridge though...

Guy

I found best results with 40-grain Nosler ballistic tips at warp 9. Mine is 1-14" twist as well (for now), but it's a FN Winchester.

I found the 50 gr Ballistic Tip shoots pretty darn good in the 1/14" barrel on my .220 swift. I keep them at impulse power below 4000 fps. Should do just as well in that other .224.

For what it's worth, I have a 222 Remington (nowhere near the 22-250 I know... :wink: ) with a 1:14" 20" barrel and she shoots very well up to (and including) 55 grainers.

I have also tried the 60 (Partition) and they do well up to 200 meters, but they scattered a bit beyond that point....

I would say 55's would be the max you can do well.

(y)

My Tikka T3 Lite loves the Hornady 55 gr. Vmax. It will consistantly shoot a tight 3 shot cloverleaf at 100 yds. It also does very well with the 55 gr. Sierra Blitz Kings. I use Varget powder for both loads. Have at her. It's a lot of fun shooting the Tikka .22-250. :grin:

Back