Best bullet weight choice for a 1 to 10 twist ratio barrel

Norseman

Beginner
May 6, 2006
What bullet weight would best suit a 1 to 10 twist ratio barrel chambered in 7mm Remington Magnum. This rifle will be strictly used for deer hunting and coyote hunting.
:?

Every rifle is unique and may have a preference of one bullet weight or type over another. Having said that, most 7mm calibers have a 1:9 1/4
twist. I do not mean to doubt you, just that 1:10 is more popular in other calibers.
If you have a 1:10 twist, I would start with the 140 gr AB or PT designs.
The heavier 150 gr PT and 160 gr AB's may not stabalize in the slower 1:10 twist. If you do have a 1:9 1/4 twist, you might want to take a serious look at the 160 gr AB for all around use from deer to moose.

JD338

Like I mentioned before, I do indeed have a 1 to 10 twist ratio barrel, it was made by Krieger which I purchased at a garage sale and according to the paperwork, it say's 1-10 twist ratio with a 26 inch finish barrel length.
What about a 120 grain Barnes TSX?

What about a 120 grain Barnes TSX?

Norseman.....good choice!! You can also try the 140 gr Barnes TSX. I've been loading some of those for my 7mag. Results are inconclusive as yet, but looks promising. Your 1/10 twist should be fine for a 140 gr.

Blaine

The 7 mag has more than enough velocity to stabilize a 140 gr bullet in your barrel. The accubonds are "lean and long", but they stabilize well in my 270 Win (also 1 to 10) with 200-300 fps less velocity than my 7 mag.

Blaine

The heavier 150 gr PT and 160 gr AB's may not stabalize in the slower 1:10 twist

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

Uh, wait a second. If my 300 Weatherby with a 26" barrel and 1-10 twist can stabilize a 250 grain Partition, shoulnd't the 7mm stabilize a 150-160 just fine???

The twist rate needed for a bullet takes into acount its lenght not wgt. A all copper bullet or VDL type can weigh less then a shorter lead core and jacket bullet and need a faster twist.
Most do use weight as the deciding factor though when choosing a barrel twist. Here is some info on the suject that may help.....

http://sst.benchrest.com/shilentwist.html

tapehoser":124wq8nq said:
The heavier 150 gr PT and 160 gr AB's may not stabalize in the slower 1:10 twist

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

Uh, wait a second. If my 300 Weatherby with a 26" barrel and 1-10 twist can stabilize a 250 grain Partition, shoulnd't the 7mm stabilize a 150-160 just fine???

And where, ,pray tell, are you finding these 250 grain Partitions? I have not seen any heavier than 220 grain :wink: Regards, Eagleye.

I had a 1-10 twisted 7mm RM and it shot the Sierra 160 Gameking ok til the barrel got soft.

For deer etc I would load te 140 Nosler Ballsitic Tip and if the deer are heavy then the 140 AccuBond.

My 28" Douglas barrel on my 03 Springfield action shoots 154 Hornadys into 3" or less at 600 yards all day long, and at 3250 fps it gets the job done right now. I think a 1 in 10 barrel handles this weight fine!

My 7mm Rem Mag. performs very well with 160gr. bullets. It has a 1 in
9 1/4 barrel twist. The bullets are Speer which aren't particuarly long. I don't think the key is going to be weight but bullet length. You'll just have to experient to fid what your rifle les with its 1 in 10" twist. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Back