Time to start buying the pieces

ajvigs

Handloader
Nov 1, 2012
Man cave is almost all done in the new apartment, and I want to start ordering up pieces to build a reloaders bench. I was set on a kit, but I think I would rather want to throw my own together.

For a press, what do you all think?

Powder measure, thinking electronic of some sort?

What else will I need to start? I dont mind buying everything over time, so if you all can chime in with your favorite items in your reloading kits to give me some ideas, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

A.J.

If you want to go with the stuff that you're likely to eventually want from the get go, then take a look at the Forster CoAx. There are some differences in how you do things with it, but I love mine and most everyone else feels the same about theirs. If you're thinking about a dispenser, spend the few more bucks and get the RCBS Chargemaster. Avoid the Hornady and the Lyman. The Hornady is okay, but the RCBS is just a better product.

Rcbs chargemaster is a must have! The auto dispense setting works great and saves me a bunch of time.

Little doubt on a press only one in my book Co-axial. I would try to get as many Forster dies as possible after Forster I would use RCBS or Redding for dies. I would also buy the RCBS Chargemaster powder dispenser.
Also would look at Forster trimmers for your brass.

Blessings,
Dan

When I started reloading I purchased a Classic reloading kit from Hornady and added things as I went along. Got the kit for $299(you can still find it for that price) plus the free 500 bullets they offer - was a pretty good way to start. Get yourself several reloading manuals; my favorites are Nosler and Hornady. Read them and ask a lot of questions on this forum! You'll get loads of good safe information without getting much smoke blown your way. You'll need a good set of calipers, shell holders, loading blocks and of coarse dies for the cartridges you'll be loading for. If your budget allows add an electronic powder thrower, case trimmer and a bullet comparator. Then you can add a hand primer, tumbler and any number of toys.....I mean tools that will make things easier and faster. This is a very fun and rewarding pastime.

Scott

I've got three presses now, each is unique:

RCBS Rockchucker - I've had this one about 30 years and it actually will do everything if need be.

RW Hart arbor press - all I do is neck size and seat bullets on this small, compact press. It's easy to take with me, and it also produces the finest ammo I make... Use Wilson dies with this one.

Dillon RL550B - oh my goodness, my new toy. Makes LOTS of good ammo, fast....

Guy

Look at gem pro 250 electronic scale its super accurate. Also check the Redding pressings and equipment.

Av,
I'd think there will be tons of good ideas from these folks but here's my ideas.
Two ways perhaps....
Budget and stuff you probably won't outgrow.
Budget. (Doesn't mean cheap!)One of the RCBS or Hornady package deals. Has press, scales, etc all in one box. Add some dies, bullets, primers,powder, cases and a decent inexpensive elec scale to double check and you're good to go.
Really good stuff....
Chargemaster, Dillon or Forster press, dies from them or Redding, comparator, trimmer, tumbler or the stainless setup, and you can go on and on with the toys, er.... Tools as Scott said.
Calipers are, I think, a must along with good manuals.
Good luck!

I've recently moved up in my reloading gear after buying a Lee kit almost two years ago.

Since then I've gotten a Redding Balance Beam scale, Redding benchrest Powder Measure, and soon a CoAx press. I would encourage you to piece the stuff together if you know for a fact you are going to reload and have a desire to produce good quality ammo. The only thing I shy away from is the electronic powder dispenser as I weigh each charge. If I was loading a lot of handgun or .223 stuff for the AR I'd jump on a Dillon 550B and be done with it but I can load a few handgun rounds each night after work if I need handgun ammo.

I would buy a RCBS or Redding kit and then add any extra pieces afterwards. Both Redding and RCBS make several different kits, both offer high quality products and have great customer service.

I'm in the "buy a kit" camp. Why? Well, because you'll end up getting all the parts you need a whole lot cheaper than buying individually. You could start with a kit from RCBS, Lyman, or Hornady, and be well equipped to add pieces to get the exact specs you're after. I am not a fan of Redding due to some QC issues I've seen on their presses, and experienced with two sets of their dies (100% of the number of sets of Redding dies I've used - not a good track record!). The Co-Ax is a great press, I'm told, but I've been using an RCBS Reloader Special-5 for over 20yrs now, with no problems at all. I keep thinking one day I'll upgrade to a RockChucker or a Lyman Crusher because they are slightly larger in size and would be easier with full length rounds like my 300Wby, but then again, I don't have trouble loading ammo with what I have, so I haven't changed out.

Obviously a good press is key. I also suggest a good beam scale as well, even if you go to an electronic scale for most use. The beam is nice to have for checking the electronic, and as a backup if you have any sort of electrical issues (interference, breakage, etc.). Calipers are a must, and I'll suggest you buy the stainless house brand from Midway or Midsouth or whomever. You will want some hand tools for case work, and a chamfer/debur tool. A pair of case loading blocks is handy, as you can move from one to the other as you perform operations on the brass. I'll also suggest a hand priming tool, rather than priming on the press. I have been using the RCBS tool for all but the first year or so I loaded, and it's well worth the price. I have the old style, which works just fine, but the new style is universal (no changing out shellholders). Advantage to the old style? It's about half the price. I don't find changing shellholders to be a pain. You'll need some sort of case trimming setup, which can be as simple as the Lee setup, which is cheap but works, or you can spend the coin and get a nice lathe-style setup, or even a powered version. I don't recommend the powered version to start, though. Too many opportunities to ruin brass quickly, IMO, until you really understand what you're doing with case trimmer setup. I've been using a manual RCBS lathe-style for my whole loading life, and never felt the need for power beyond my own elbow grease.

Dies are a personal choice, but I've used RCBS, Lyman, Hornady, Lee, and Redding. Forster dies are excellent (a friend uses them) but I don't see the need to spend that kind of money for my hunting loads. I'm getting best service from my Hornady dies, and in fact have converted all but one rifle to them as of now. I still use RCBS dies for pistol loads, and won't turn my nose up at any but Redding, as noted above.

A tumbler setup might prove useful if you like clean brass as I do. A good tumbler is not expensive and will last a long time.

There are plenty of toys - tools - you can get. You'll eventually want a bullet comparator, perhaps a means to measure headspace length on cases, and a host of other goodies. You might get into power case prep and trimming. My power case prep center is one of the best additions to my bench. But I'd start manually so you get a feel for how it is supposed to look and feel when it's right. Handloading is a one of those areas where you'll try this or that tool, and some will become part of what you do regularly, and some will gather dust. Starting with a kit is easiest as it allows you to get a basic, working package, without forgetting stuff. From there, you can add/subtract what you really need and be well set.

280SOLIDBASE":e6r1cl1e said:
If you get into tumbling your brass, I STRONGLY recommend the stainless tumbling media set up. I used the traditional vibratory and corn cob/walnut media for yearsssss. After using the stainless media system, there is simply no comparison.

http://www.stainlesstumblingmedia.com/

I noticed that you're setting up shop in an apartment, and I think you may want to consider the dangers of tumbling brass in dry media in your living spaces. There's lead in priming compound and residue of priming compound is bound to get airborne in the dust created by dry tumbling. Stainless media tumbling takes place in soapy water and won't expose you and your family to airborne lead. Besides, you just can't get a brass case any purdier than you can with stainless!

I think the kits are the way to start as well.
The RCBS Universal Hand Priming tool is great and will save you a lot of frustration at the beginning. I went crazy at first trying to prime cases using the press-mounted primer that came with the press.
As mentioned Calipers are a must. If the kit doesn't have them get stainless with a dial, avoid the electronic read-out models.
And avoid, at least starting out, Electronic Scales. They are not as straight-forward as the old beam-styles and are tricky to calibrate. They can also wander-off calibration. The old beam-scales are only slightly more complex than a claw-hammer and just as reliable and easy to use. :wink:

Back