Tips on 350 Rem Mag?

FOTIS

Range Officer
Staff member
Oct 30, 2004
OK what bullets do you use and what are your loads? How is your accuracy velocity?

I am kinda getting interested in this one..once again. I am looking forward to Nosler bringing out their AccuBond in this caliber but I am fearful that it will not apply to the 350 (long bullet for a 2.8" OAL)

What say you?

Pop,

The 350 Rem Mag is a great round and a ballistic twin to the 35 Whelen.
The only problem with the 350 Rem Mag is that they are on a short action. This requires the bullets to be seated deep into the case to fit the magazine. If you could get a long action, you could utilize more case/powder capacity.
The 35 Whelen, IMHO, is a better way to go.
With the 225 gr PT, I have shot many WT Deer and a 250 lb Black Bear.
Only had a couple of deer run off 30-40 yds but the blood trail was very heavy.
I am planning on loading up some 225 gr AB's when they are released.

JD338

Tonite I will be looking at a Whelen Rem 700 (I think is is the classic 1988) like new in box with many accessories all for under $500. If I stike a deal I might get it! :lol:

Pop,

I have the same exact rifle!
Do it man, do it!!!!

Regards,

JD338

The guy game me a good deal Jim. $500 for the rifle and 250 brass. Rifle has no rear sight but does have a williams peep. It is like new and because it is an "older remington" it will probably shoot great.

I can not decide on it or my 25-06!

I have the SAKO 75 SS/Synthetic twins (7mm/300 rums), my 416 WBY and my new 25-06 Rem 700 stainless synthetic. I am trying to figure out which one would be more useful to me. The 25-06 is the only "lightweight" I have. Under 8 lbs with scope and bases and all. The twins and the "Bee" are just under 10 lbs. I guess the whelen might be close to the 25-06 and just as handy in the woods though.
Man..tough choice! :?:

Update!

25-06 sold! :wink:

I was hoping for 350 mag loads. I am thinking about getting a Ruger 350 mag which has a little longer short action than the Remington. Maybe the room would help? I am considering 225 nos partitions, 225 hawks, and 220 speers. If I went heavier(250gr+), being the task arose, I would probably go round nose, to avoid length issues. I hope this gets more hits.

My 700 Classic in 350 has had the agazine leinghted and I can seat the bullert out toa COL of 2.93 or so. I'm sshooting a hand load of 57.0g 4320 and a 250gr Speer hot cor bullet. I'll try and take a pic of the mag and show you.

WPH...Forget the Hawks. They are just spendy and not up to par. Not much accuracy and failures galore.

I shoot IMR 4320 @ 56 with the 250 Speer SP and Fed 210Match Primer in RP cases in my Rem 600 in 350 Mag.

Good Bullet for the 35 Whel or 350 Mag!

I was kind of writing off 250gr pointed bullets, but maybe they will not be that big of a problem. I think I will probably stay in the 225 range anyway. I hope the 225 Partition shoots well I am really favoring it. I am basicly buying the rifle for the 350RemMag/225NosPart combo.

WPH":1pe6bj75 said:
I was kind of writing off 250gr pointed bullets, but maybe they will not be that big of a problem. I think I will probably stay in the 225 range anyway. I hope the 225 Partition shoots well I am really favoring it. I am basicly buying the rifle for the 350RemMag/225NosPart combo.

I like the added energy of the 250 gr speer, about 2" more drop but a LOT more energy.

In the whelens I had in the past I used 225's for everything. Great compromise I think. I do realize that the 350 limits bullet choices due to length.

The 225 gr weight is a good choice for the 350 RM / 35 Whelen. The 225 gr PT is my go to bullet for my 35 Whelen. Excellent penetration and a quarter size exit wound that will leak a lot of blood, should you need to do some tracking.
I shot a WT buck lenghwise with a 225 gr PT from my 35 Whelen.

JD338

I just posted four pics of my 350 magazine and the two diffrent loads that
I have for it
Jan7199910-5.jpg

Jan7199910-4.jpg

Jan7199910-3.jpg

Jan7199910-2.jpg

What kind of accuracy do you get with the 250 gr, and what is the twist rate of your rifle. I just purchased a new Ruger. Most rifles have a 1-16 twist and a 250 spitzer should be a little long.

Congratulations on your new Ruger 350 Rem Mag.
My 700 Classic 35 Whelen is 1 in 16" twist. The 250 gr PT's sjot under MOA.
I beleive that Ruger also has a 1 in 16" twist.

JD338

No need to be concerned about the length of 250s, even in the short Rem 673 magazine.

I load the 250 gr. Partition over 58 gr. W748, to a COL of 2.80. Accuracy is decent if not great for a medium range rifle (consistently under 1 1/4" @ 100 with half the groups (3 shots) in the 0.8"-1.0" range).

I've also tried the Speer 250s, but get better accuracy at top velocities from the Noslers (although the Speers were just about as accurate if loaded down).

Neither the 225 TSX nor the 225 Partition gave me the accuracy of the 250 Partitions. The TSX was long enough to cause problems with seriously compressed loads, particularly with tubular powders such as IMR 4064, and started cratering primers well short of Barnes' book-max load of BL(C)-2, forcing me to back off sooner than expected. The 225 Partition was reliably in the 1 1/4-1 1/2 inch range with IMR 4320, provided that I used magnum primers. Standard large rifle primers, which I hoped might improve accuracy in a case as small (relatively speaking) as the .350 resulted in groups that doubled in size (outside temperature at the time the loads were tested was roughly 35F).

The bottom line is that the 225s may serve you well, but if you'd like a little more weight, the 250s might provide a good answer, particularly considering the Ruger's longer magazine that lets you load to longer-than-standard COLs.

I owned the model 600 till a bear sat on it in Alaska. Now I own a 660 Remington. I decided on the 350 over the 35 Whelen not so much on calibre but on rifle. This gun was going to be dragged around 99% of the time and maybe or maybe not going to be shot at something. I shoot 180 grain partitions and Hornady XTp's loaded lightly a little over 2400fps. These are the 38/357 pistol bullets. I have yet to recover one on a deer. Also this is my plinking round. I get a little over an inch group with these. Other rifle styled 180 grain bullets I get 2-4 inch groups, just awful. This is just 2 rifles and other rifles I am sure are different but I could not get Noslers to group well. I jumped the fence and tried Hornadys bullets. The ones that work real good are 250 grain round nose. If I do my part and wear many thick shirts leather jacket and a sweater, I can get them to allmost touch at 100yards. I am prety sure I was using 3031 IMR and the closer I got to max load the tighter the groups got. 225 did well but the 250's realy tightened things up. Hope this helps. I am and allways will be a Partition fan but I had to to get this 20 inch barrel to do better.

Back