To Magnum or not to Magnum?

I've been reading this topic, and others relating to this subject, and find it so interesting how much conversation is given to what is an appropriate/acceptable caliber and bullet weight for various big game animals. I wonder if the old mountainmen sat around at rendezvous discussing which weight round ball to use or what caliber of rifle to use? I think not, they were drinking whiskey, trading stuff, and chasing squaws.
Again, just an observation.

Nosler4":1y6u3oio said:
I do that between posts. :grin:

Which one, drinking whiskey, trading stuff, or chasing squaws????

I'll put my money on all three!!!!!!!! 8)

Richracer1, The Neanderthals started this debate the first time some began redesigned their spear for the next mamoth hunt. 120,000 years later, we are still debating what spear, or should I say Nosler 8) is best.

YoteSmoker":39yty2oh said:
I would never trade a Nosler for a Speer.

I cross my fingers and hope Nosler would make a 200gr bullet just for my 35rem. A flat or round nose with a cannelure, boned or a Partition, I will use them.

Now my 358win and 35whelen do get feed Noslers and they work!

Antelope_Sniper":3kd0hmjg said:
200gr bonded round nose in a .35 REM?
Yep, that would be pretty nice.

I am jelous those 30-30 shooters got a Partition.

I think the bonded would be all thats necessary and would keep costs down, but I'll take what ever nosler might throw our way.

PS Nosler I'll try out any/all development bullets for the 35rem or 358win ya send me yep, yep I will.

Greg Nolan":2y8nfajt said:
Since elk are my passion I have to put in my 2 cents worth.
Elk are big. A big bull will weigh about 4X what a big deer weighs. They can of course be brought down nicely with a good, centered heart/lung shot and people hunt them with calibers as small as 243.
The problem with smaller calibers and bullets (even controlled expansion bullets) is the margin for error. Take that 270 Wby for instance. On a 175# deer it's devestating. The hydrostatic shock from the velocity and energy will hemmorage the organs and shut down the nervous system instantly. That's probably why he uses it instead of a 243Win. The elk is capable of taking a lung shot or a raking shot that would dump a deer on it's butt and run for a mile or more showing no signs of the hit, never to be found. The biggest caliber and bullet you can shoot well will guarantee that won't happen. The 340 Weatherby is one of the finest elk calibers for close and long range shooting. The 225 gr. AccuBond compliments it perfectly. If the recoil is too much then a Decelerator recoil pad and or a muzzle break will cure the problem. He's not going to be sitting at a bench rest shooting 50 rounts at the elk. He'll probably shoot once or twice and the peace of mind of knowing that if he hit's the animal it will at least be slowed and probably go down quickly is worth the recoil. Untill you've seen an elk take 3 solid hits and not even flinch as it bounds off thrue the timber it's hard to believe.
Good luck to your friend.
Good Hunting
Elkhunt

I saw a cow elk hit behind the shoulders with a 180 gr Partiton fired from a 30-378 Wby Mag.. she went down but a minute later got back up.. there was a large patch of blood on her right side and when she turned you could see her left side where the bullet exited. Slowly wobbling but getting stronger she walked the 75 yards to the end of the clearing and was out of sight. We (brother and I, he's the one that shot her) tracked the blood for about 1/8th mile before it peterd out to nothing. We searched for 3 hrs till dusk and came back the next day and searched for about 6 more hours, scouring the hill side that she had walked to. NOTHING.. she took that bullet and was able to get away..

This is the reason that my brother sold the 30-378 and now has a 375 RUM.. He'd used mine in the past to take down 2 elk, both neck shots and both instant kills.. I think that if he'd been using the 375 RUM to take the cow, she would have never got up.. (I had it and was behind him doing my duty which is why I didn't get a shot at her, but it was loaded with 260 gr Accubonds that chronographed about 3090 fps)

Back