Traditions Vortek

Ashman

Beginner
Dec 3, 2009
After a lot of reading and trying to decide on a muzzleloader, I decided on the Traditions Vortek. Cabelas recently had a great deal on them along with a promo, I bought this for a lot less than I had anticipated spending on a muzzleloader. I also had a spare Leupold 2x7 scope in the gunsafe so the natural choice of what to do with it was easy.....put it to use.

This is my first, and I've never even shot a muzzleloader before. If anyone has suggestions on what powder/bullet combo works well I'd love to shorten my learning curve. :lol:

003-10.jpg

Ashman

COngratulations on the smoke pole.
A possibilities bag starter kit should have everything you need to get started.
I use Hodgdons 777 loose powder, very clean and not corrosive.
You can make it even simpler buy buying pellets and bullet/sabots.
Things to keep in mind....
-Make sure you have the right bullet diameter matched up with the correct sabot.
-Loose powder is different than powder pellets. A 3 pellet load (150 grs) is equal to 120 grs loose powder. DO NOT USE 150 grs LOOSE POWDER!!!

As for cleaning, I use T/C Number 13 Bore Cleaner and Bore Butter. It is like seasoning a cast iron skillet. Clean up is a snap and my bores look just like new!

Let me know if you have any questions, I am sure you will as you get started. :lol:

JD338

Nice muzzleloader!!, I just bought the Northwest version (#11 cap / nipple) of the Vortek this year.

Like JD338 suggested - 777 powder works very well. I've been shooting loose 777 for quite a few years now.
I just shoot 100 - 110 grs loose and we have to use all lead slugs here. I used to use the bullet / sabot combo when we could.

Hint - Windex does a good job for a "quick" clean up. REMEMBER - ALL blackpowder / substitutes can not be even damp or a hint of moisture in it or all you will hear is the cap going off. It is also very corrosive to the metal - keep it clean / very clean at the end of hunting season.

Thanks for the help.

I bought the bore cleaner and bore butter today. Since the bore butter is like seasoning a pan, should I run some down for the time being before I shoot it the first time...or do I wait until after shooting/cleaning?

I always run a patch with a small coating of bore butter down the bore and on all the metal surfaces for that matter after the rifle has been thoroughly cleaned. I do not use borebutter when loading in the woods or at the range. It is not necessary with these modern in-lines. In between shots I use a pre-soaked #13 patch followed by 2 dry patches and shoot again. Welcome to the world of modern muzzleloading!

Ashman,

Like yote said, run a patch with #13 down the bore with a couple dry patchs and then run a patch with bore butter before you load it and shoot it.
I also do the same between shots just to keep consistancy.

Another thought, the breach plug. Make sure you use some kind of anit seize greese on the threads. I imagine you could also use bore butter. You do not want the threads metal on metal.

Let us know how your range session goes with your new muzzle loader.

JD338

+1 on threads not being metal to metal. I have had good luck with the syringe of shooters choice hi-tech grease. I also run 777 loose powder. My rifle likes Hornady sst bullets. Have fun with your new muzzle loader!

Back