trailer brake control

jimbires

Handloader
Aug 16, 2011
4,045
3,764
I thought I'd do a quick review on the " Redarc " trailer brake control . everything has been purchased from ; etrailer.com . I bought this set up new for my 2018 Toyota Tacoma . since there is no cutting , splicing , or drilling to install , I took it out so I could put it in my new truck . this is really a nice set up . everything is hidden , except the control knob . both of my trucks have had the factory tow package , so the wiring is in the truck . there is a factory plug under the dash to plug the brake control into . this set up is " plug and play " . to get the control to fit my new truck , I had to buy a wire harness , and a mounting plate . it's really a nice , easy to install , clean looking set up . it worked great in my old truck . the Tacoma switch mounting plate was a perfect match . the Nissan switch mounting plate is more of a universal fit , but still looks good . I could have drilled the original plate , but then it's ruined for putting the truck back to original .

to install , plug into the truck factory wire plug and run that harness to the control module . mount the switch , and run the wire harness from the switch to the control module . find a place to mount the control module , and secure it . the position of the module doesn't matter . the instructions warn you to mount it securely . in my old truck I was able to get two small bolts and nuts to secure it to a bracket under the dash . this new truck I was able to use three zip ties to mount it . the installation took about 45 minutes . there was no cutting , drilling , or splicing . I can easily remove it , and put the truck back to the way it was before the installation of the brake control . the instructions say as the truck is driven the control learns the drivers braking habits , even without being hooked to a trailer . this was always smooth operation of the trailer brake in my old truck . you can manually put on the trailer brake by pushing the switch knob .

these are the two Items I had to buy . a vehicle specific "plug and play harness" for the new truck . and a universal switch mounting plate . I could have spliced the Tacoma wire harness into the Nissan wires , but I did not want to cut up the wires . nothing good happens with spliced wires .
P9280589.JPG P9280590.JPG
everything that's needed .

P9280591.JPG


a couple of pics from under the dash

P9280592.JPG P9280593.JPG

and the finished look . the switch is the only thing visible .

P9280594.JPG
 
at least you don't have to deal with a gm installed controller..........................they SUCK! the harness by the spare tire is the issue as the connection doesn't always stay connected (not unplugged, just bad connections)
 
that's what i DON"T like! all but 4 vehicles i've bought since '82 (11 since then) i ordered to my wants/specs. at most all i waited was 6 weeks and 1 came in in 2 weeks as it must've all ready been started to a point where it was pulled and finished? that 1 i was worried about, but with 100k miles it had no issues. 4 p/u's and 5 suburban's and 2 cars (not counting 1 motorcycle). when i get enough money i'm rebuilding an '81 crew-cab dually that my grandma (no longer alive) bought back then. it (454, turbo400 2-wheel drive w/3.73's) got better mileage pulling. than the '15 w/duramax.
 
I’m surprised they don’t have brake controllers in new trucks today. My info center even has a menu just for trailers.
 
Back
Top