Traveling to Canada with firearms?

truck driver

Ammo Smith
Mar 11, 2013
Considering driving to Canada to hunt and was wondering what is required to transport and posses a rifle.
Any help or info would be appreciated.

Dr. Vette has directed you to the pertinent intel. Do not, I stress, imagine that you can bring a handgun into Canada. Border agents do get somewhat excited by such actions.

Thanks for the links Dr. Vette. Are there any problems getting back into the country on our side ?

I had zero issues at all. You'll have copies of the paperwork, of course, and your passport so you'll be good to go.

Dr. Vette":20t5du9y said:
I had zero issues at all. You'll have copies of the paperwork, of course, and your passport so you'll be good to go.

plus 1, exactly...very easy Rodger, lots of folks cross the border into Canada and the USA to hunt every year,
Lou

The two times I went they did not even look at the rifles or case. No problems coming back home either.
As a side note I traveled inside the US by plane two years ago, and TSA did not even look at the pistol.

Pretty straightforward process. I didn't have any issues at all.

You fill out a 4457 form for taking property, guns, cameras or other expensive equipment, out of the country to show prior ownership coming back so as not to be taxed on them. Hunting partner an I came back with two moose and as said, it was easy with no issues.

It's 2016. You print one out from the internet.

However, I've not heard of needing one of these for any hunter going to Canada. After all, the odds of you buying a gun there and bringing it back are about zero.

Dr. Vette

That is true but you never know when you will get the agent having a bad day. We crossed in N.D. and is very hunter friendly but I have heard of other crossing points that are not. It is always good to be prepared.

My Dad has gone to China 60+ times on business, Canada 30+ times for fishing and hunting (probably only 10-12 times for me), and never filled one out for possessions. I've only met one person who claimed he filled one out, and that was about 30 years ago.

However, it's free to fill out and declare, so you may do as you wish.

I've never heard of anyone needing one for firearms from Canada. Your Canadian non-resident firearms permit contains all the information and establishes ownership prior to arrival.

It used to be common for folks crossing into Mexico in the 20s and 30s to scrounge up old Colt revolvers and bring them back as "American Goods Returned" and avoid taxes. Those days are pretty much over in modern world.

You can fill it out if you want to, but most don't.

Back