Trouble Mounting a Diavari on my 35 Whelen

sask boy

Ammo Smith
Nov 4, 2007
I purchased a Diavari to place on my Custom 35 Whelen. I ordered Talley 1 piece rings (low) in the Nesika Bay pattern. I have sent a couple of photos to DrMike to show my problem. First problem is when I eject the bolt hits the rubber on the eye piece & second is when I tighten the rear ring the barrel of the eye piece touch the base & the power ring then jams :oops:. I am not sure if I am doing something wrong or maybe these rings will not work for this Diavari Scope.
If Mike knows a remedy then he will not post the photos.
Hoping someone can figure out my problem :wink:.

Blessings,
Dan

Maybe higher rings or a different style would help Dan. Sorry, not sure how your Whelen is set up but I heard the bolt was on the wrong side, so I'd work on that first, your scope mounting is the least of your worries. :lol:

Thanks Scotty, I think you been listening to Mike too much lately :mrgreen:.
Biggest problem around here is now one uses Nesika Bay pattern.
I may install a rail & be done with it :wink:.
PS. Mike didn't tell me it was a right handed scope when he sold it to me :mrgreen:!!

Blessings,
Dan

Didn't you have a Leica on that gun before? That seemed to be working well if you can't make this set up work.

Sorry, just got home from hospital visits and a quick trip to complete a television program. Scotty gave you the correct advice, Dan. That is a right-handed scope. You didn't tell me you needed a left-handed scope. Go with medium rings, Dan. There isn't a lot of clearance on the Zeiss. I believe Gerry is correct in that the Leica will allow more clearance.

I have the Talley (Medium) 30mm rings on my 280AI with my VX6 and I placed the Leica on my 270win in the CDL. That is why I purchased the Diavari for the 35 Whelen I plan on using the 35 Whelen for my Moose & Bear rifle and the 280AI for everything else. I just can seem to part with my CDL so I placed the Leica on her :mrgreen:.
I may just leave it the way it is and then when I get up to Dawson Creek get Corlane to change the Talleys they may take lows as a trade in for mediums.
I quick trip to the range on Sunday afternoon and it will be ready for some Mooses :lol:!!

Blessings,
Dan

The Zeiss has a 1" tube and my other scopes are all 30mm.
There is no one in Regina that stocks Talley rings especially in the Nesika Bay pattern :twisted:!

Blessings,
Dan

I was wondering where that Leica ended up. I'm really glad you kept your CDL 270 Win, that is far to nice of a gun to give up and you have some good history with it. Your plan will work but it would be nice to have one less variable before your trip. Of course you could put the Zeiss on the Remington and swap the Leica back, they are all great scopes anyway......

gerry":3f4jprxa said:
I was wondering where that Leica ended up. I'm really glad you kept your CDL 270 Win, that is far to nice of a gun to give up and you have some good history with it. Your plan will work but it would be nice to have one less variable before your trip. Of course you could put the Zeiss on the Remington and swap the Leica back, they are all great scopes anyway......

Good advice, that.

The Diavari has a larger eyepiece diameter. I had to use medium rings on my Zeiss 3-15x42 HD5 even because the bolt would not clear the Zeiss eyepiece on my Model 70. I use a low ring set on the 30mm Leica on my other Model 70 and it is fine.

Yes gerry I could do that, but I would still need to pick up a set of medium 30mm Talleys for the 35 Whelen and then a set of low 1" Talleys for my CDL. It would be cheaper to pick just a set of 1" mediums for the 35 Whelen.
However I am afraid to order them and then not have them fit. I am starting to accumulate quite a collection of rings :roll:.

Blessings,
Dan

I can see that, extra money being spent for nothing. Probably not the easiest set of rings to sell either.

I think that I am going to call Corlane's tomorrow and explain the problem to them. I will see if they would take the lows in a swap or maybe give me 1/2 the retail towards a set of mediums. I will also ask him if they do not fit what is their return policy.

Blessings,
Dan

Doesn't hurt to ask, they might swap them out for you especially since you have bought a couple of customs through them recently.

Sounds like medium height rings should fix the problem.

JD338

Yes Jim that is what it looks like will remedy my problem. I guess I should not have waited so long but really was not going to look at the problem until later in the summer but now that the Moose hunt with DrMike & gerry is a go :mrgreen: I will have to hustle my butt and look after it.

Blessings,
Dan

Give Talley a call Dan. Very friendly folks and should let you know what you need as well.

Scotty, I was thinking of doing that as well but it is very hard to get any manufacturers to send anything across the 49th when it has to do with rifle supplies :(.
But I still might give them a call or a email on my problem.
Thank you for the heads up (y).

Blessings,
Dan

I sent a e-mail to Talley today just before lunch and just after 1:00pm I received a reply asking a question. I sent them back the answer so far service time has been excellent.
Will let you know what they have to say (y).

Blessings,
Dan

I received a e-mail back from Talley suggesting that I give Prophet River Firearms a call in regard to exchanging the lows for a set of mediums. I gave Prophet River a call and spoke with a young man named Tanner, I explained my problem he advised me to send up the 1" lows & he would send me a set of 1" mediums for the cost of shipping.
I would say that is great customer service from the Talley dealer (y) they have made me a customer!!!

Blessings,
Dan

Back