Try to sell me on the M48...

Very nice RR665! I think your going to love the rifle! Way to go. Between Hodgeman, Mike and a few others on here, their rifles have turned in some incredible shooting and excellent hunting shots as well.

I might have to start saving my ducats for one of them as well!

I do believe you are going to appreciate this fine rifle. I've certainly thought about one.

Guy Miner":37r9o0a9 said:
Ridgerunner665, you're getting a nice rifle! Congrats.

One thing I noticed is that there is a world of difference in the "feel" of the two different barrel contours. Worth putting your paws on one before you order if possible.

Guy

You mean the weight of standard vs magnum contour?

I realize the magnum contour of the 280AI is a little heavier...but it being thicker is the thing that tipped me in favor of the 280AI instead of the 30-06...that is to say, I want the magnum contour.

My reasoning...the 280AI is a true long range round, and a little stiffer barrel is a good thing for accuracy, and a little heavier rifle helps dampen the recoil of 160 grain AB's launched at full speed :mrgreen:

Sorta like I had my 06 set up...a tad over 9 lbs...light enough to carry, heavy enough to shoot...I don't much like recoil these days...I'd rather carry a 9 pound rifle than shoot a 6 pound rifle...and I know for a fact that I'm a better shot with a 9 pound rifle, much better.

I know a lot of people are all about making a rifle as light as possible...I believe going too far in either direction is a bad thing...I don't like really thin barrels because I've never had one that was accurate enough to suit me...and I don't want a really thick barrel either, too heavy to carry...I think the magnum contour with the .284" hole through it is a very good compromise in that regard....that alone was a major selling point for me.

Exactly what I meant!

I too like the extra heft of the heavier contour barrel. I know that either can be very accurate, but I'm more likely to be accurate with a heavier contour barrel. There is a distinct difference between how the two different barreled rifles, otherwise identical, feel in hand.

Guy

Ridgerunner665":5nroqspr said:
.I'd rather carry a 9 pound rifle than shoot a 6 pound rifle...and I know for a fact that I'm a better shot with a 9 pound rifle, much better.

I'm thinking you're on to something there. I've been messing with a couple of the new class of super lights- a Kimber 84L Montana and a Mountain Ascent. Both seem darn hard to shoot well...I really have to concentrate to shoot well...that thin barrel just wanders with the slightest thought.

I'm a fan of light...but my .300 is light...compared to my old 10lb .270!

hodgeman":2vzj8abj said:
Ridgerunner665":2vzj8abj said:
.I'd rather carry a 9 pound rifle than shoot a 6 pound rifle...and I know for a fact that I'm a better shot with a 9 pound rifle, much better.

I'm thinking you're on to something there. I've been messing with a couple of the new class of super lights- a Kimber 84L Montana and a Mountain Ascent. Both seem darn hard to shoot well...I really have to concentrate to shoot well...that thin barrel just wanders with the slightest thought.

I'm a fan of light...but my .300 is light...compared to my old 10lb .270!

No doubt!! I'd rather have a little extra weight than a ultralight. I got to shoot my first light rifle the other day. Basically a 700Ti clone. Probably 7-7.5 lbs field ready in 280AI and boy was it lively. Definately a different type of recoil than my rifles. They have a real muzzle jump that was pretty surprising. Though it shot very well as I had expected. I like a rifle at about 8-9.5 lbs caliber dependant field weight heavy enough that it makes shooting easy.

Jake

Well...

I have the money to buy a Patriot...still trying to decide if I want it or a Custom though, lol.

Ah well...I'm in no hurry...keep adding to the fund while I'm trying decide...lol, at the rate I'm going I might have enough for a D'Arcy Echols model 70 by the time I decide....NOT...I ain't paying more for a rifle than I did for a new truck!

They are nice rifles..and I'm a certified gun nut, but there has never been a gun made thats worth that to me .

I have no doubt that you'd be quite pleased with either rifle. It's all a question of what you want.

Just wanted to give props to Shawn @ Nosler...I keep sending questions and he keeps sending answers...Thank You Shawn!

I'm running out of questions finally, I think :lol:

Ridgerunner665":1249k9of said:
Just wanted to give props to Shawn @ Nosler...I keep sending questions and he keeps sending answers...Thank You Shawn!

Oh come on now, you know you'll think of another one in a day or two. :lol:

Glad I've been able to help though!

SF

Ridgerunner665":3dtfgu9h said:

You underestimate the power of the human mind to come up with novel questions. :grin:

DrMike":xvp3gcwn said:
Ridgerunner665":xvp3gcwn said:

You underestimate the power of the human mind to come up with novel questions. :grin:

Lol...Its challenging trying to get a feel for a rifle through email exchanges...I've tried to get all the pertinent technical info I could get on the rifles...hopefully stopping somewhere short of trivial questions.

I do still have some questions about them...but I think they're questions that can only be answered by holding the rifle in my hands...primarily about stock fit (fit to me, not the action)...the action looks like it sits a little more to the rear than most others...Not sure if that's right, or just an optical illusion in the pics...

Learned something new about cast steel today... http://books.google.com/books?id=QG3_Qq ... ss&f=false

A lot of technical reading in that...but the thing I learned/found interesting is that all this talk you hear about forged steel being stronger....is only 1/2 right...due to the way forging aligns the grain structure, forged steel is stronger in one direction, but weaker in the other...longitudinal strength of forged is 50% of tensile strength, but transverse strength is only 35% of tensile strength (ANSI 4340 steel tested)...one of the advantages of cast steel, it has equal properties in all directions with values roughly in between the longitudinal and transverse properties of forged steel....when you think about it, that makes perfect sense...

I think I just changed my view of cast steel...I can see no good, logical reason to be afraid of a cast steel receiver or bolt.

I never gave a cast action any thought, the 3 Ruger 77 Mk II's I have had have been excellent and you never hear of a Ruger having any problems when it comes to strength, in fact it has a reputation of being one of the toughest guns. Haven't heard any problems either with the MRC 1999 actions either.

gerry":338bmedf said:
I never gave a cast action any thought, the 3 Ruger 77 Mk II's I have had have been excellent and you never hear of a Ruger having any problems when it comes to strength, in fact it has a reputation of being one of the toughest guns. Haven't heard any problems either with the MRC 1999 actions either.

I don't doubt you at all...

Its just me...I've had to "talk myself into" this...I'm a hard sell on new things, and I have a terribly inquiring mind (and $3,820 is a lot of money)...and usually find things interesting once I get started researching, and end up going into much deeper research than necessary for my purpose...there's probably a word for that, some sort of disorder maybe, lol.

I'm convinced now though...cast is good to go on a rifle action.

Ridgerunner665":3cem7len said:
gerry":3cem7len said:

Its just me...I've had to "talk myself into" this...I'm a hard sell on new things, and I have a terribly inquiring mind...and usually find things interesting once I get started researching, and end up going into much deeper research than necessary for my purpose...there's probably a word for that, some sort of disorder maybe, lol.

Here is a link and when you go there look at the 16th post as a gentle reminder why you need to get the Nosler :) :) :) viewtopic.php?f=18&t=27862 :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

bullet":lyecrsc0 said:
Ridgerunner665":lyecrsc0 said:
gerry":lyecrsc0 said:

Its just me...I've had to "talk myself into" this...I'm a hard sell on new things, and I have a terribly inquiring mind...and usually find things interesting once I get started researching, and end up going into much deeper research than necessary for my purpose...there's probably a word for that, some sort of disorder maybe, lol.

Here is a link and when you go there look at the 16th post as a gentle reminder why you need to get the Nosler :) :) :) viewtopic.php?f=18&t=27862 :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh I haven't forgotten about that...

I'm getting the rifle, the wife has OK'd it :shock:

I'm just snooping around to satisfy my own curiosity on a few things...I almost hit the button to do the "payment option" last night but decided to wait and save the money and just buy it when I get it (still need ~$1,800 to cover the custom)...just a couple more months.

Ridgerunner, when you get the rifle have them ship it to me and I will run it through its paces and break it in for you :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol: 8)

bullet":35majp6e said:
Ridgerunner, when you get the rifle have them ship it to me and I will run it through its paces and break it in for you :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol: 8)

Naaa... :)

But you're welcome to come visit and enjoy some range time with me at Cherokee Rod & Gun Club!

Back