Trying something new

sask boy

Ammo Smith
Nov 4, 2007
Well my nephew called me this past Monday & asked me to order him a new scope.
He has been talking for a couple of years about changing the scope on his CDL 7mm mag.
After all the research he had me order the Zeiss 800 Rapid Z.
So now we will be able to compare Leupold VX6, Leica, Minox ZA5 & now the Zeiss conquest 800 Rapid Z.
It will be interesting to compare. So far for dollar value I would say Minox as brightness is so close but price is half that of the other scopes :)

Blessings,
Dan

Based on my own comparisons of a Minox ZA5 4-20x50 and a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x44, I'll guess ahead of time that the Conquest gets the nod for overall brightness by just a fuzz. Both are great scopes, and I'm really wanting to get an opportunity to compare them in low light, as my recent comparison was in bright sunlight.

That is a fine collection of quality glass, Dan. I know from my own work at 0 dark thirty, the Leica will likely move to the head of the class. After that, it'll be a tossup between the Minox and the Zeiss edging out the Leupold.

Mike I have not checked my Leica out at first light or right at dusk but starting next Saturday I will be :wink:
Everyone so far has taken the Leica over the VX6 in brightness but it is hard for me to betray the Leupold family :wink:
My Cousin is on his way to Haydays in the states and he is going to look for a deal for the 1600 B Leica. If it is reasonable I think that I might get him to pick it up.

Blessings,
Dan

My tests of the Minox 2-10x40, ZA5 versus the Conquest 2.5-8x32 at 8X, done 1/2 hour after BMT sunset. The two scopes were pretty equal in brightness but in the Air Force Resolution Chart test, the Minox beat out the Conquest at 25 meters by 1 line/mm of resolution (3 lines/mm versus 4 lines/mm). The Swarovski AV and Zeiss Diavari C scopes scored at 8 lines/mm at 25 meters and 8X, just for reference.

Thanks OT3, I am not familiar with those tests.
But I will try & read up on that. I am going to have more time as I have my new office set up
And should a couple of day during the week to get back out to the range:)!!

Blessings,
Dan

Dan, I really like both the Conquest and the Minox scopes. For the money, they are the best dollar value in the scope market. Both are really bright with good high contrast and long eye relief. There is nothing not to like.

I am not familiar with those tests.

Dan, A couple of sites for information.

http://www.efg2.com/Lab/ImageProcessing/TestTargets/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1951_USAF_Resolution_Test_Chart

1951usaf_test_target.jpg

Thanks Doc, you are an amazing individual :wink:
I know that God broke the mold when he made you :)

Blessings,
Dan

Those Minox's are good scopes for the money. I really like mine used it for the first time today adjustments are rock solid and dead on for 1/4" per click. It's darn sure sharp and clear also.

Back