tumbling in rice

misser

Beginner
Feb 5, 2022
herd some talk about it . thought i'd try it . in the shaker it moves around, but not as good a corn cob or walnut . defiantly makes more noise .
i'm not a nut about shiny brass .mostly i want a drying agent for water & sizing lube . after running the shaker i am now thinking the rock tumbler
may be a better tool

I've read about people using rice but it gets so dirty so quickly I doubt it's worth the effort.
If you want a good economical choice, buy lizard walnut bedding from Amazon and add about 3tsp of mineral spirits and 1 cap full of NuFinish car wax. You'll get way better results than rice

I tried tumbling with rice and quickly went back to Lizard Litter. Rice just isn't hard enough, gets dirty quite rapidly and wears out fast. It's also quite dusty. It's just not worth the trouble and considering the rather short working life, more expensive than it's worth.
Paul B.

Good ol’ Harbor Freight rock tumbler is what I been using for years. I have gone from SS pins to chips now , better results in less time.

Good ol’ Harbor Freight rock tumbler is what I been using for years. I have gone from SS pins to chips now , better results in less time.
yes even as i .then theres the water ya have to dry out . hence the rice

Not bad for me. After rinsing I take them out to the shop and hit both ends with compressed air. Then put them in their ammo box overnight and ready to load next day.

after running the rice & brass in the rock tumbler for many hours one thing did happen . the inside of the brass was much cleaner than corncob or walnut has ever done . all it did for primer pockets was to plug up the holes . that was something i was expecting. ok so what! super clean brass really only is pleasing to the eye .takes time to get . if i really wanted shiny brass, using a LEE case holder and a drill motor a rag and brass polish gets it the shiniest it can get

I use a Frankfort Arsenal wet tumbler with stainless steel pins. The brass looks New inside and out.

JD338

I run normal walnut media mixed 50:50 with lizard bedding and have noticed the turnover flow in my old Lyman vibratory media cleaner was much better. Brass "seemed" to be cleaner inside and out plus very little flash hole plugging.

Back