Two of the Newest

He don't feel under-gunned, so he says.

I'd guess he doesn't feel under-gunned, Dave! The cartridge does push a chunk of lead at reasonable velocities. I am still hoping shortly to give a report of how it works on elk and black bear.

onesonek":2ic3x72l said:
A call from a former customer, reminded me of his confidence in the 9.3x64. Loaded with 286 gr PT's @ 2650, is his favarite bear load. He don't feel under-gunned, so he says.

That would be a penetrating machine with that slug, I would feel confident too. It would every bit as good as the 375 300 gr Partition at the same speed but shoot even flatter.

With those 250 gr. AB's, Mike, I suspect they will do extremely well! My personal thoughts are, with that bullet, anything over 2500 fps MV is just added icing on the cake.

Dave,

I suspect you are correct. Of course, I'm infected with the same virus of so many on this forum; I'll try to see if I can get a bit more accuracy and a bit more velocity. When it comes to a choice, however, accuracy has to win out. I'm headed out for a day and a half following church on Sunday. Gil has been scouting out an area. He saw three bears last evening (one a six footer) and three moose. Of course, I'm already tagged out on moose, so that is not as much of a concern for me. However, he didn't report any elk. There are some big herds in this area, however. I'll be packing the Brenneke, however.

Pretty slick pair of rifles, there, Mike. This may get me kicked off the forum, but a man could probably hunt North America with those two rigs and never be found wanting...

This may get me kicked off the forum, but a man could probably hunt North America with those two rigs and never be found wanting...

Yes, but it would surely be boring. :grin:

Great shooting Mike. I really dig that 286 PT at 2600! Wow, that is some serious thump right there! The rifle looks awesome as well. Can't wait to see it out in the field. That rifle shoots so well right now, it would be hard to not load up some more 286's and look for elk!

Your 338 is incredible. It just seems to shoot everything pretty well too. What a pair of awesome M70's!

Yeah, the 9.3X64 does deliver some thump--at both ends. I'll go out in the field this evening to see if I can find a black bear or an elk to thump. Gil phoned last evening to say that he had seen four moose and four bears. He hadn't seen any elk, just yet. There was fresh sign, but no animals. I'll spend some time tomorrow giving it a serious try to put more game on the ground; and it'll be the Brenneke that will be tasked with the job this time.

Back