Two Sentenced in Illegal take of Bull elk

Status
Not open for further replies.

flybuster

Beginner
Nov 26, 2008
http://www.keprtv.com/news/local/122346659.html

OREGON STATE POLICE NEWS RELEASE -- An investigation by Oregon State Police (OSP) Fish & Wildlife Division troopers into the unlawful taking of a trophy bull elk in northeast Oregon with a firearm during archery season led to the recent conviction of a Hermiston-area father and son on wildlife-related crime charges.

In September 2010, OSP Fish & Wildlife troopers from the Pendleton Area Command office received information that JOREY M. PETERSON, age 25, and his father, MICHAEL L. PETERSON, age 47, both from Hermiston, had unlawfully taken a trophy bull elk in the Walla Walla Unit with a rifle during the last day of the 2010 archery season. Troopers responded to the Peterson residence and subsequently seized a large 10x7 trophy class Bull Elk and a rifle allegedly used to kill the elk.

As part of the investigation, troopers also located the scene east of Milton-Freewater where the bull elk was killed and found the elk's carcass. Upon inspection they determined the meat had spoiled and was no longer fit for human consumption.

"Local landowners had observed this particular elk in the same area for several years," said Senior Trooper Rick Carter, lead investigator on the case. "It's because of poaching incidents like this involving large trophy class wildlife that the State of Oregon has pursued enhanced penalties for violators".

In 2009, the Oregon Legislature passed a bill enhancing civil damages for the unlawful taking or killing of wildlife including a $15,000 fine for any elk with at least six points on one antler.

On March 17, 2011 JOREY PETERSON pled guilty in Umatilla County Circuit Court to Theft First Degree, Waste of Wildlife, and Illegal Take of Wildlife. He was sentenced to the following:

* $15,000 joint restitution with his father to ODFW
* 180 days in Jail - suspended
* 3 years bench probation
* 3 years hunting license suspension and forfeiture of seized evidence to the State of Oregon

On April 24, 2011 MICHAEL PETERSON pled guilty in Umatilla County Circuit Court to Theft First Degree and Aiding in a Wildlife Violation. He was sentenced to the following:

* $15,000 joint restitution with his son to ODFW
* 180 days in Jail - suspended
* 3 years bench probation and forfeiture of seized evidence to the State of Oregon

WallaWalla.elk.jpg

brianwyo":21dxqjzo said:
No Jail time? I am very disappointed. They should have done some time to think about it.

He is a regular forum member here.

Yes, the fine is pretty stiff; fortunately for him no quality time with Bubba. Losing your license for three years is pretty much a slap on the wrist IMO. Pretty ballsey thing to do, we all make mistakes though. Hopefully Jorey can learn from it.

I imagine it won't happen again. Sorry to hear about such a fine bull elk taken and not utilized. That is the rough part. Scotty

beretzs":rbd8af1n said:
I imagine it won't happen again. Sorry to hear about such a fine bull elk taken and not utilized. That is the rough part. Scotty

WTH was he thinking. Maybe he can come in here an explain. :roll:

Pretty hard to be understanding with all of the antis around. I read somewhere that about 20% of the populations hunts and about 20-25% are antis. The rest are in the middle, and we do not need the negative press garnered when hunters break the law and poach. In fact, they should be referred to as poachers and not hunters.

But, I imagine that the price is being paid, and that is enough for me.
Hardpan

flybuster":p9t07ntw said:
beretzs":p9t07ntw said:

WTH was he thinking. Maybe he can come in here an explain. :roll:

I imagine he will. Being a 25 year old (a little while ago), I can't say I have always made the right decisions either. Being a man, you stand up to what you did, take your licks and learn from it. I think he had a case of bad judgement, hard to beat him up anymore. The law is handling that part of it. Scotty

I got caught up in something like this when I was 19. I'm a better man for it. I don't think we need to publicly crusify him for it. It was wrong and he knows it, will pay the price for it, and I would bet my left nut that it doesn't happen again.

Read the story, learn from it, and don't judge. He is a good man that made a very poor choice, it happens to the best of us.

I think social repercussions come along with the punishment, and he should be a branded man. I know you guys are his buddies here, but these actions reflect on all hunters. He deserves every ounce of punishment he receives be it legal or social.

flybuster,

I'd say that social repercussions have already resulted by having the gentleman's name published. To be certain, when the law is violated, we each are responsible to man up and take the consequences. I'm not certain but that you are angry and endeavouring to add your own punishment to that which has already been meted out. I have lived a few years; I can honestly say that I have witnessed instances of questionable ethics and even gross violations of the law. I have sat on panels assigned to mete punishment for game violations. I am uneasy with what seems to be your intent in posting and continuing this particular item.

I would agree that most of us that post here are buddies to anyone posting on this site, especially when it is apparent that they seek to contribute to the knowledge base. One of the charms of this particular forum is the lack of choler and caustic commentary levelled against others. Candidly, that is quite rare in the realm of the shooting forums today. Undoubtedly, each of us has some areas in our past that are best left buried. I'd like to think that people learn from their choices; if they don't, they will face the consequences again and again until they learn the hard lessons.

Perhaps it is because I recognise that I am a great sinner who has received grace that compels me to accept a man for what he is and not for what he was. Until I have reason to believe that the gentleman in question (whom I don't know personally nor whom I would be able to identify by name), is unrepentant or a repeat offender of game laws, I'm loathe to add to the punishment meted out by the law. It seems pretty serious that he and his father paid a substantial fine, received a jail sentence (which, though suspended, remains applicable should there be a further violation) and probation, in addition to 3 years suspension of hunting privileges and forfeiture of seized evidence (which I assume to mean a firearm and/or ammunition at the least). The gentleman lives in a community where his name has been published (and I assume broadcast if not bruited about), and he must live down the reputation (deserved or otherwise) held by many within his local community. The punishment seems pretty significant to me.

I seriously doubt that he will accept your invitation to come in to offer an explanation in light of what appears to be personal determination to humiliate him before his peers. Perhaps you could clarify how long he should be a branded men. Perhaps you should explain what he can do to rehabilitate his reputation. If you can explain your thinking in these areas, perhaps I would take your posting more seriously.

I've withheld comment up to this point, but I feel compelled to comment now. I find poaching repugnant. In any form. Period. Now, having said that, I think you're being disingenuous at best, flybuster, in coming on here with your first post in several years just to tar and feather someone you are ticked off at over this. I don't know your relationship to Jorey, or it's history but what you're doing here is petty, rude, and based in your own personal issues. Jorey ad his father are stigmatized and paying a court determined price for their actions. In the meantime, if they violate their conditional sentence, jail time will ensue. That's pretty much te way the law works in cases like this.

There's no need for you to come here, to a place you don't regularly frequent, just to make a public spectacle of Jorey. I suspect if we walked through your past we could find a few shameful things and brand you as a criminal, or a thug, or just an a$$hole - much as we could mine or any other person's, lest you think I'm singling you out. And yet we don't. Because it's not right.

For certain, Jorey made a piss poor decision, and broke the law. He's also got the stones to own up, without whining and trying some silly legal maneuver, and take his medicine, and try to move forward with his life picking up the pieces as he goes. If he violates again, the penalty will be far more severe, I'm sure. But until then, it's one mistake. Perhaps we should all refrain from casting stones unnecessarily?

And, to illustrate my point, which you didn't read, we don't have to look far to discern your character.

I hope you are perfect enough so as never to need mercy. It's written that by the measure you use, it shall be measured unto you. Good luck.

flybuster":r4m74v51 said:
DrMike":r4m74v51 said:
You expect me to real all that bs you two posted?

Only if you wish to mature and learn from life.

I won't be taking any life advice from guys who defend criminals.

Not trying to hand out life advice here. We are shooters/reloaders and hunters. This is a good place cause we don't get into personal matches. Scotty

dubyam":82wj7ban said:
And, to illustrate my point, which you didn't read, we don't have to look far to discern your character.

I hope you are perfect enough so as never to need mercy. It's written that by the measure you use, it shall be measured unto you. Good luck.

I am on no moral high ground and neither are you, no need to be pretentious. Like hunters need another black eye, but I'm glad to see you are able to forget so easily.

Well it is a shame that this happened. I am sure is was a brain fart and both individuals were punished according to state law.
Whether the punishment was enough or not does not matter and no one is in a position to increase it or decrease it.
This being said let us all MOVE ON.

POP":1yyt4x1v said:
Well it is a shame that this happened. I am sure is was a brain fart and both individuals were punished according to state law.
Whether the punishment was enough or not does not matter and no one is in a position to increase it or decrease it.
This being said let us all MOVE ON.

I know its hard to hear the truth, as it is unpleasant to think one you have associated with has let you and all good hunters down, given antis more ammunition. Taken a trophy animal that could have continued to provide great genetics to our local herds. I respect him NOT especially because he wasted the animal, coyote food. It was egotistical, all for some antlers that he couldn't even show off. He has plenty of time to sit back and reflect upon his thoughts as his broken leg mends.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back