Unique powder

mj30wilson

Beginner
May 20, 2006
I recently bought some alliant unique powder and used it to load some .45 long colt for my tc encore katahdin barrel in .460 smith and wesson. The powder roduced flakes in the barrel. Out of curiosity I tapped out the remaining flakes into a pile on my bench. After the range session I tried to light the gunpowder with my lighter and it would not light. I even held the flame on the pile. No go. I set a match on the pile and nothing. What are the flakes for? Possible a flash retardant? Powder was bought withing the last 3 months.

Unique is a dirty ol' powder that has always left a fair bit of residue for me.

But my revolvers, and the .45 ACP, shoot well with it, so I'm working on going through an 8 lb keg now. That ought to take a while.

Yeah - it tends to leave a lot of dirt behind after going bang. I've read somewhere that it's just a stone's throw removed from being black powder... :grin: Am sure that was all in good fun. Maybe?

Guy

I cannot remember which came first, Bullseye of Unique. I think one came out in somthing like 1898 and the other around 1905. Not all that sure on the dates. However, there has been a supply of Unique from the very first run that has been stored under water since it was made. Every once in a while they pull some out, dry it and load ammo and test to see how the latest lot compares with the "original". I've used Unique for so many years and it jas worked so well for my that I see no reason to stop now. So it' a bit dirty burning, I clean my guns after I use the anyway so it's no big deal. FWIW, the closer you get to a maximum load with Unique the leaaner it burns. Still dirty but just not as dirty. :wink: :lol: :lol:
Paul B.

That is the reason I do not use Unique, its a dirty powder.

JD338

Why would maxing the load lean the powder out? You are adding more powder to max it out so it should have more unburnt powder out the tube? Even though I am shooting it out of a rifle barrel it was like it was snowing black unique flakes. Insert joke about all flakes being unique. :) So my 20 inch barrel could not burn it complete.

How dirty Unique is often depends on how hot you load it...with mild loads being dirtier...Power Pistol is the same way...both are VERY good, extremely versatile powders.

Unique is a very old powder formula that has been tweaked a little, Bullseye is the older of the 2....but I believe Ballistite (Cordite) is the oldest smokeless powder that was produced in the US, and it was first made in Britain I think (been a while since I read this stuff).

Unique may be a bit dirty...but its a darn good powder (so is Power Pistol)

Ether Alcohol Nitrocellulose with retardants added. Leaves cellulose and graphite coating ash upon ignition. Burning rate is about 3000 meters/second. Nobel invented smokeless powder about 1887, refined into Nitrocllulose singlebase by 1890

Progressive burning powders, which smokeless powders are, burn more completely at higher pressures. Light charges tend to not to burn completely.

Unique powder and the .45 Colt cartridge go together like a hotdog and mustard! Don't worry about the bore residue, just clean afterwards like you should anyway. A great old powder which I hope lasts another 100 years.

I still use TiteGroup which is the modern improved cleaner version of Unique in my .45 Colt SAA's. I run these at about 980 fps with 225 grain lead or jacketed bullets and they are stoppers and accurate!

I would hate to be without Unique. I use it in .38 special, .45 ACP, 12 ga, 20 ga, .308 & 30-06 reduced loads. I just clean after using.

Back