Unleash the RUM

Scott any milk jug tests or animals with the 220 Scenar?

Scott any milk jug tests or animals with the 220 Scenar?
Deer Fotis. My nephew borrowed my 300 RUM with the 220's after I got back from Idaho. He clipped a decent buck with it and a doe. The buck was a normal broadside, in the ribs shot, which excited at about 1/2 dollar size after taking a rib in and out.

The doe was a high shoulder. I was there for skinning on both. I became a believer. Same for the 139 Scenar. Both of those are killers in my book.

Doe was 75-80 yards. Buck was 250 yards. Not sure on impact speed, but start speed was 3090 if I remember correct.

Deer Fotis. My nephew borrowed my 300 RUM with the 220's after I got back from Idaho. He clipped a decent buck with it and a doe. The buck was a normal broadside, in the ribs shot, which excited at about 1/2 dollar size after taking a rib in and out.

The doe was a high shoulder. I was there for skinning on both. I became a believer. Same for the 139 Scenar. Both of those are killers in my book.
What caliber was used for the 139 Scenar?

The jacket is thicker on the 200, the 212 draws it out a touch longer making it a thinner jacket and more explosive bullet. That’s why the recommend the 200gr ELDX for bigger elk/moose over the 212 unless longer ranges are more likely.

I was listening to Back country hunter podcadt when he asked a Hornady rep about why the 200 seemed to exit more often. Anecdotally he watched 2 out of 4 exit a large bull moose at close range and had not seen the 212s penetrate nearly as well
Here in Alaska performance of ELDX is similar to Nosler Ballistic Tips on game. The jacket is too soft. I got better results from the Original Hornady Spitzer SP Interlock on game than the ELDX. I quickly returned back to Nosler AccuBond and Partitions.

Here in Alaska performance of ELDX is similar to Nosler Ballistic Tips on game. The jacket is too soft. I got better results from the Original Hornady Spitzer SP Interlock on game than the ELDX. I quickly returned back to Nosler AccuBond and Partitions.
I was actually pretty impressed with the 200gr ELDX on my moose this year. Did a lot of damage and still exited thru high shoulder shot. It did do a bit more meat damage than I’d like. The high shoulder shot on moose has stopped 180gr accubonds before. None of the conventional lead core bullets can compare to Monometal like Barnes or hammers when it comes to penetration. I also see much less meat damage with mono metals.

I was actually pretty impressed with the 200gr ELDX on my moose this year. Did a lot of damage and still exited thru high shoulder shot. It did do a bit more meat damage than I’d like. The high shoulder shot on moose has stopped 180gr accubonds before. None of the conventional lead core bullets can compare to Monometal like Barnes or hammers when it comes to penetration. I also see much less meat damage with mono metals.
Was that a 200 out of the RUM?

Back