Unusual primers

Newysan

Beginner
Jan 4, 2009
Greetings. At the gun show I was looking for CCI primers as there is some sort of "slam fire" issue with Winchesters being soft and susceptible to this phenomenon { AR application}. There were only two boxes of the CCI primers but what threw me was they are Military with a CCI number of 41 small rifle primers. Never seen these before. My question is, does anyone else have experience with these? Is there any difference between regular small rifle and these? Any info is greatly appreciated. Just trying to keep from making mistakes. This forum has a tremendous amount of knowledge about these matters, just trying to tap into some of that. Don't trust a govt. that does not trust you to own a gun. Newysan

The CCI No. 34 primers are designated as a Military large rifle primer with NATO sensitivity. CCI No. 41 primers are designated as a Military small rifle primer with NATO sensitivity.

From the CCI web site (http://www.cci-ammunition.com/products/primers/primers.aspx?id=30):

Military-style semi-auto rifles seldom have firing pin retraction springs. If care is not used in assembling ammunition, a “slam-fire” can occur before the bolt locks. The military arsenals accomplish this using different techniques and components—including different primer sensitivity specifications—from their commercial counterparts. CCI makes rifle primers for commercial sale that matches military sensitivity specs that reduce the chance of a slam-fire when other factors go out of control*. If you’re reloading for a military semi-auto, look to CCI Military primers.

Here is the CCI usage chart: http://www.cci-ammunition.com/products/primers/primer_chart.htm

Be advised that they are magnum powered primers. Made for ball powders and COLD weather for the military.

Great, now we are getting somewhere. Being a "hot" primer means I should avoid top end loads as these will generate more pressure is where this seems to be going. Trying to tap the knowledge here of other re-loaders. My only other "hot" primer experience is with my 300 Weatherby which is listed in most books as requiring the Federal 215 magnum units. I guess I should try a few and look for the tell tales signs of to much pressure and act accordingly, start low and work up so to speak. Thanks for the info. Newysan

Newysan":2ausj862 said:
start low and work up so to speak.

This.

From everything I've read, a change in primer can change the pressure at any powder level, not just as you approach the max load. Federal also makes a harder small rifle primer for ARs.

Then again, for all the folks reloading ARs, I have to wonder just how many are buying the specialty primers.

I've never loaded any special primers for my Colt. Mostly standard CCIs.

Back