Update: 308 I4350 Range Day: interesting twist

EastTNHunter

Beginner
May 10, 2017
As some of y’all helped me out in finding loads, you may remember that I was trying to develop a load for my .308 Win Savage 10 with I4350 and 165 and 180 Nosler BT/ABs. I found good accuracy with the 165s using Nosler book max, which also happened to be its accuracy load: 50gr I4350, Win brass multi fired brass, CCI200, 165 NBT.

52C5A9AA-5EAA-4CA0-96B1-54349C9211B5.jpeg
100yd

I noticed that a few of these loads were just a little tight chambering, but didn’t think much beyond the sizing die setting.

Then I tried the 180gr loads... Holy smokes! I could barely get the first starting load to chamber, then noticed that many of the others wouldn’t chamber at all. I felt below the shoulder of the brass and found a slight bulge. Since this brass had been given to me, I thought that it may have been fired in a semi auto or something, but later pulled the loads down, resized and seated, and found that the heavily compressed load was causing the bulge. I have shot compressed loads before, but I have to admit that this was a first. I reckon I will retry with some newer brass that I have on hand.

Very nice a little up and left and your ready to hunt. Nice group its ready to go. !

That is definitely strange. I don't believe I've ever built a compressed load that bulged the case. However, that 165 grain load would definitely hunt. It may make you somewhat uncomfortable, however, should you need to quickly chamber a second round. Yeah, the cases need some work to give you a good comfort level.

It makes me wonder if you have your seating die set to far down. I have done that before and it will push the shoulder back and cause a bulge. I am with the good Dr as I have never seen compressed loads damage a case in any way, and I have loaded some that had to have a drop tube and be tamped down before seating a bullet.
Let us know what you find.
Take care
Ed

Thank y’all for the responses. I was surprised too, but this does not occur with my other non compressed loads using different powders, so I am comfortable in saying that it is the powder and not the seating die setting. I don’t have the die set to crimp, either. I’ve used compressed loads before as well, and have never seen this, but I don’t know the history of this brass other than it is “multi-fired.” It doesn’t show any stress signs, but may have been loaded and sized enough that it has been worked thin or soft in that area??? Dunno. I may try some newer, once fired brass that I got from my brother, or I may just stick with the 165gr loads and call it good.

After processing some more of the brass that I got from the same batch from this individual, it appears that it has been annealed, and I cannot tell what method or how consistently this was performed. I’m thinking that this may be the culprit, making the shoulder and just behind it softer than it needs to be. I may try the 180gr load again later, but I think that 165gr load oughta be good medicine primarily for deer, but for a backup elk rifle load as well.

I was having a hard time buying the compressed load bulging the brass story but over annealing would probably explain it!
I use a Tru tool to correct run out on loaded rounds and I have a really good feeling for how soft and hard necks can be.

Back