Upgraded my RAP with Boyd's stock.

Cleveland48

Handloader
Jul 28, 2015
Believe it turned out well. Sure looks and feels better than the factory stock. Bedded the v blocks with acraglass gel. Had to sand a little out of the barrel channel, but very small amount took less than 5 minutes. Can slide 5 bills all the way to the barrel nut, so should be good. I hope so anyway gonna be pretty mad if it doesn't shoot as good as it did with factory stock haha. Gonna have to shim the magazine tab though will not latch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4d7e212284f4a5bbb925e7c6713f8169.jpg

Looks good! I've been impressed with the ergonomics. Of that provarmint stock.

That looks great.
I was at the Harrisburg, PA NRA show today and Boyds was there with a new design stock with adjustable comb and butt . They look good but with a heavy recoiling rifle they may eat your face up.

Yeah I was playing with the cheek riser today and the front of it is a bit sharp. Heavy kicker might be an issue.

Cleveland48":257f8m42 said:
Yeah I was playing with the cheek riser today and the front of it is a bit sharp. Heavy kicker might be an issue.

I hope you realize I wasn't knocking your stock but was relating what I saw today when I handled one at the show and being part Native American some stocks just don't fit my face and this was one of them with the adjustable comb.
On the other hand they also had a prairie hunter model there and it felt good so it might be the right one for me.

I totally understand what you meant in your post. Honestly I'm not as crazy about the adjustable cheek piece as I thought I would be. Luckily my eyes line up great with it completely lowered. I guess my mounts were about perfect for this stock. I only took the pic with it up so so It would look cool haha.

I here yeah my friend. The one I tried pinched my face and I put it back on the rack. They do look good and there is a cool factor.

6.5 Creedmoor I got last year. With the factory stock this rifle ins very consistent .4- .6 hunting handloads. Im gonna be pretty up set if it doesn't as good now lol. I may have to open the barrel channel up some more. The left side not quite as open as the right. I can slide 5 $1 bills all the way to the barrel nut though. You folks think that's enough? Or should I open it up a bit more. Hopefully get to test it this Saturday. I got it cause it looked great and this gun has been so accurate I thought I'd spice her up a bit. Seems like she gained some weight though, but still not just too heavy.

I think you'll find for deliberate, accurate shooting the ergos will be improved and the recoil tamed down a bit, so the extra weight shouldn't worry you.

Smart looking outfit.

That's pretty danged cool. I've got a Ruger American that would be greatly enhanced with a nice stock..

It sure dresses up that rifle :wink:. Boyd is one of the few stock companies that has no problem shipping directly to Canada but man with the Canadian dollar where it is sure makes them costly :shock:.

Blessings,
Dan

Thanks guys. Gonna probably end up shipping it to cdi for there bottom metal instal, so I can run aics mags through it. I have not had on single issue with the feeding on the factory mag, but I've seen a lot of people not so lucky. I don't wanna order a spare and it not work like so many other folks. Gotta bad feeling I'm gonna keep messing with it until it just a range toy, and to cumbersome to tote through the woods lol. Oh well been wanting one of those browning hells canyon speed in a Creedmoor anyways [emoji16]

Took the rifle out Saturday to see how it would shoot. Cleaned the bore the night before to start from a baseline. 1st group was 1.5" 2nd group was 1.2". This is normal for this rifle after a good cleaning. 3rd group was .95" 4th group was .78" these were 3 shot groups. My 5th and final group was a 5 round group that went .76". Overall I'm happy, but I was getting tighter groups with the factory stock. Hopefully try it out again this weekend and it will tighten up some more. I wasn't really on my game Saturday since I was rushing to get to my niece bday party, and had a pretty rough wind. Hopefully next range trip will be better.

Some rifles like shoot fouled better than when they're clean and you might have a barrel that likes a little fouling to shoot good. I've read where bench rest shooters don't clean they're barrels except to remove carbon with a mild cleaner.
What was the factory stock, synthetic or wood?

truck driver":1okwrie6 said:
Some rifles like shoot fouled better than when they're clean and you might have a barrel that likes a little fouling to shoot good. I've read where bench rest shooters don't clean they're barrels except to remove carbon with a mild cleaner.
What was the factory stock, synthetic or wood?

I never clean a rifle unless the accuracy falls off, or it's going to get stored after a season.

I'm pretty sure the Ruger American Predator rifles only come with a factory synthetic stock. In fact I can't think or a single Ruger American that has a wood stock option.

Yes it came with the synthetic stock. And this rifle has shot its best groups with around 20-30 rounds down the bore. So I'm holding off my judgement until I get some more rounds down it. Stock sure is nice for shooting off the bench though compared to factory stock! May be a bit cumbersome to tote through the woods though.

Very keen to hear and see pictures about the DBM installation when you get it done...

Back