Upgraded sights on my 45-70 Marlin

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Put Skinner sights on my Marlin 1895 this morning. The rear sight base doubles as a scope base for Quick Detach rings. The front is called a "Bear Buster." I really like the sight picture. I've got a similar Skinner rear sight on my 22 rimfire Marlin 39A.

ujc1fHwh.jpg

jSRZ7wFh.jpg

Sorry the front sight photo is blurred:
g2Zk4U9h.jpg

I've always liked these Marlin 1895's and have always enjoyed shooting with aperture sights. Am looking forward to taking this to the range sometime soon and making sure it's sighted-in.

Regards, Guy

I do like the brass. I put a RangePoint Precision peep sight on my marlin 336 and very happy with it. I also hunted for years using the factory peep sight on a Sako Finbear 30-06 I once had and loved it too. There are a lot of good things to say about peep sights for a lot of hunters

Guy,
I took another look at the pictures. It looks like the front sight taller than the OEM sight. Is that a Skinner sight as well? The rear peep base being set up for quick detach scope rings is very cool.
I really like that set up.

JD338

Guy,
I took another look at the pictures. It looks like the front sight taller than the OEM sight. Is that a Skinner sight as well? The rear peep base being set up for quick detach scope rings is very cool.
I really like that set up.

JD338
Yes, it's a Skinner. Andy Larsson, the owner of Skinner Sights, is real up front that swapping to one of his peep sights MIGHT mean that a new, taller, front sight will be necessary.

Link to Skinner Sights website: http://skinnersights.com/

I didn't like the original Marlin brass bead sight all that much, it was "okay" but I prefer a flat-topped front sight instead of a bead. This one wasn't expensive and was quick to install.

Looking forward to shooting it. I won't get the chance today. But probably Monday. :)

Regards, Guy

That rear sight looks really clean Guy. I like it. Extending the sight radius sure can make a big difference and a peep never hurts either. Very good upgrade I'd say!

I love the pistol grip 1895’s. It could be mines twin with the exception of the sight. I have a Williams peep on mine. I really like the contrast that the brass provides. She looks good Guy.

Well I missed seeing the rear sight base you have, would have made sense to me. I also added the bear buster up front. Thankfully when I went to the range I had a chainsaw file in the truck. 17 inches low at 50 yards. Took three turns up on the rear and then started filing the front. Took a little time but she now shoots where I point it.
I'm out of town but will send a pic on Wednesday

Looks great Guy. I imagine you will make that work well. I debated a tang/peep sight for a project I've been working on. Opted for a scope but not sure it was a good choice. Should work well for you. CL

Got to the range yesterday. I'm going to have to file down the front sight a bit, which I expected would be the case.

The sight picture is good though, real good. I'm a happy rifleman AND have a set of Talley QR rings ordered, so I can get the little 2.5x Leupold back on this 45-70 Marlin too. Hope it all comes together quickly as bear season starts August 1st! :)

Regards, Guy

Back