using fire formed brass

sxsmike

Beginner
Jun 28, 2008
I am just getting started in reloading. I have heard that using fire formed brass in the same gun that it was formed in will provide better accuracy. Also if used in the same gun there in no need for resizing. The gun is a weatherby accumark in 300 cal.

You'll have to resize your brass every time you load it. Fire-formed brass has two meanings. On the one hand, it means taking a piece of factory brass, sizing it somewhat, and then forming (through firing it) it in a wildcat chamber (like making a 7-30Waters from 30-30WCF, or making an Ackley Improved). In your case, though, you're thinking of brass that is fire-formed to the chamber of your rifle. You should size it appropriately, either through partial full-length resizing, or neck sizing. It will have to be sized every time, though. The idea is to not move the shoulder back too far, to limit case stretch in the case head area, which can eventually lead to case head separation, or failure. There are threads here on partial full length resizing, if you do a search. A good loading manual will also tell you everything you need to know to start out properly loading ammunition.

In theory brass fired in your rifle and then neck sized or PFL sized will be more accurate but that is not written in stone. Only your rifle can tell you for sure.Rick.

rick smith":2aya96x8 said:
In theory brass fired in your rifle and then neck sized or PFL sized will be more accurate but that is not written in stone. Only your rifle can tell you for sure.Rick.

+1 to what Rick said.

JD338

Unless your are one of those precision bench rest shooters (that's practically a science), it's unlikely that you see any real difference in FL sized and neck sized brass as far as accuracy. The advantage of neck sizing is that you don't have to lubricate the brass prior to sizing like you must for FL sizing. Redding makes body dies that bump the the shoulder just a bit if you want to do that every time you reload. Typically you can neck size a few times and when you feel the closing of the bolt meets some resistance, then FL size again. I usually chamber a couple of the new loads while reloading to see how they feel then neck or FL size the remaining batch of bullets as appropriate.

+1 to what Val said about checking you neck sized brass to see if it will chamber.

I will say that I have noticed some accuracy gains neck sizing vs Full length, but it was with a 22-250 which is known for case stretch and has quite a tapered case configuration. Accuracy gains may have been due to reduced lock time, as a result of the case being held in place by the fire-formed case not slipping forward after impact by the firing pin, but being held in place by a case that fits the chamber alot better. As well, this could be relative to my personal shooting style/methods. I will note that these gains are only with non-belted cases.

There is a greater chance of a jam using neck sized loads because the case fits the chamber much better leaving no room for dust, snow if your hunting in serious winter weather or other foreign material. Obviously, noody wants to plan for anything besides ammunition in your chamber, but hunting is an outdoor sport and can have unplanned occurances.

It is never recommended to use neck sized loads to hunt dangerous game due to this fact.

This is mostly stuff already mentioned in other threads, but for what it's worth. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong please.

CC.

One of my rifles actually shoots FL sized brass better. I stopped using neck sized brass when I noticed some of my hunting rounds were a little tough to chamber. This was my fault for lack of planning (because I did not try them all in my gun), but I decided to try FL sizing again, and discovered this way that I was getting the best groups that I ever fired in that rifle.

Also, I have found that my .325 WSM will not chamber neck sized brass. I have to FL size. That is fine by me for a hunting gun.

Back