Using old brass

CamoHunter

Beginner
Nov 11, 2011
I have a lot of rifle brass for various calibers that I do not know the history of. I do not know how many times this brass has been loaded prior.
I have tumbled them and they are now pretty clean. If the primer pockets are still tight, visibly cases look to be in good condition, and I check for any signs of case head separation would they be safe and usable? I was thinking of annealing them also. Any thing I am missing?

Thank you for your replies,

Camo

Given your caution, the brass may be acceptable for working up loads. I would be hesitant about using it as hunting fodder, however.

I would sort them by manufacture, I have found that sometimes one brand will shoot differently than others. I use older brass frequently, and have never had a problem.

Thank you guys for your input.
This is mostly brass that I got when I inherited rifles from my father & FIL.
I have probably 700 - 1,000 cases for 4 or 5 rifles that I would like to use. Using them for load work up is what I was thinking also and maybe keeping them stored just in case I ever really needed them.
I now have them separated by manufacturer after cleaning. I have already culled a few for visual defects. Most calibers have a mixture of Winchester, Remington and Federal with a sprinkling of military brass. I also found some Herters and a few Peters too. I find it interesting that when I looked through the loaded ammo that there were mixed head stamps for all calibers. Seemed that there was not an attempt to keep these separated when they were reloaded before. I guess they shot " good enough" for them this way.

Camo

Brass thickness, case capacity, and other parameters can vary significantly between manufacturers. This is the reason for segregating brass by manufacturer. Some of the older brass will be of limited value for you for this reason. Though you may work up a load, you won't be able to secure new brass to utilise the data you generate.

CamoHunter":nfj7s7oz said:
I have a lot of rifle brass for various calibers that I do not know the history of. I do not know how many times this brass has been loaded prior.
I have tumbled them and they are now pretty clean. If the primer pockets are still tight, visibly cases look to be in good condition, and I check for any signs of case head separation would they be safe and usable? I was thinking of annealing them also. Any thing I am missing?

Thank you for your replies,

Camo

Yes on annealing with tempilaq on each piece.

CamoHunter
I find it interesting that when I looked through the loaded ammo that there were mixed head stamps for all calibers. Seemed that there was not an attempt to keep these separated when they were reloaded before. I guess they shot " good enough" for them this way.

My dad did the same thing I would find two or three different brands in a single box. They do shoot differently, but for general shooting he didn't care, for hunting however they were all the same head stamp.

I have an Uncle who was bad about shooting any ammo in his 30-06 that was free! By that, he had a few buddies who would give him a handful of '06 handloads from time to time. They would be different headstamps, different bullets, but since he always hunted heavy woods, he wasn't shooting far. I remember being with him when he shot a doe in the neck at 30yds. It killed her, but it blew up on the surface! I said let me see your ammo? Yep, they were loaded with Sierra Match bullets. ha. Since his Mod 742 was a jammomatic anyway, it was hard to tell when it just jammed (which it would do with factory ammo too) or it was the handloads. When I started handloading, I was dirt poor, and would buy range brass at the shooting ranges for pennies, but I sorted out what I wanted by headstamp.

When I was young my dad knew someone that reloaded and he had him do the reloads for his 300 H&H and my 30-06. It looks like he just loaded what ever cases that he had. I have them all stashed away now and I am using new brass for these rifles. Now that I inherited the 243 & 270 from my FIL I am sorting all of the cases for these two also.
Going forward I will use one head stamp at a time if I reload them, or just buy new brass and store all of the old.

Camo

It may be worth your while to sell the older brass with the value of scrap metals.

Back