Varmagedon Loads 22-250 Improved?

andrewctillman

Beginner
Feb 6, 2013
Anyone using the 55 grain Varmagedon in 22-250 or 22-250 Ackley?

Do you all recommend HP or balliistic tip?

I ask because the 55 grain BT I have been using despite high velocity does not expand too rapidly on rock chucks. A friends 223 remington with hornady 60 grain SP will tear them in two but my BT's just blow a big hole in them.

Do they expand as rapidly as a soft point?

And are they still effective to use on coyotes?

Thanks!

Andy,

I run the 55BT in both 223 and 22-250 and have had no issues they are an explosive bullet. They will flat cut a jackrabbit or badger in two. They are extremely accurate in my 22-250 as I've shot several groups .0-.1. They have been great coyote medicine out to my farthest kill so far. 550 one shot bang flop I definately am a firm believer in them. They also have a higher BC than the Varmeggedons. I had run some VMax in the 223 and from my experience 200 rounds they were less explosive than the BT. Just my 2 cents.

Jake

Thanks Jake.

I have also used the Nos BT for coyotes. My farthest shot about 360 yards lased the next day, bang flop even though I hit him on one of last ribs angle going forward was right. They just are not tearing rock chucks in two. I am shooting older BT's however, going back 15 years or so, in case there has been any changes made?

How much accuracy will I give up with the Varmagedon? I have an accurate rifle put together by Frank Glenn.

I am shooting 53 grain V max in my 20 inch AR at about 3300 fps but they will not stabilize in my 1-14 Ackley. These are not as effective as the 75 grain BTHP I was using on coyotes. They alwasy run a ways. But no range estimation needed.

Back