Varmint gun

old #7

Handloader
Sep 9, 2006
What is your favorite varmint gun and why?
I don't have one YET.
I think I would like something that would shoot flat out to 400yds with light recoil and lots of bullets to chose from.
I do have a Win mod 70 in 243 wssm I am thinking might work, but it only holds 3 rounds in the mag box and doesn't feed well.
I have also been thinking of buying a new upper assembly for my bushmaster ar-15 but, would like a little more power than a 223.

My dedicated varmint rifle is a 700 VLS in 22-250. I use the Nosler 50 gr BT w/ 36.0 grs of Varget and a Federal GM210M primer. Its very effective on woodchucks and coyotes. :grin:

JD338

My brother had a 22-250 that put the smack down on many coyotes and prarie dogs.
He also had an over under 25-06/20ga. Good for close quarter work but the disadvantage of a single shot promped him to sell it.

For 30+ years I've been a fan of the "walking varminter" concept. Recognizing the advantages of a heavy-barreled varminter, I still prefer a lighter, handier, sporter-weight walking varminter.

A long-term favorite was a 6mm Remington 700 BDL. Three years ago I gave that to my youngest son. He uses it for everything from rockchucks to mule deer and it works fine. I've loaded bullets from 55 - 105 grains in it, and it's done a fine job over the years. Can't think of anything that ever needed a second shot.

Am also a big fan of the .25-06 for rockchucks, coyotes and mule deer. Another good dual-purpose round. Mine is a very nice Rem 700 CDL. I keep my loading simple and just shoot everything with 100 grain bullets at 3340 fps. Seems to work fine.

Finally treated myself to a dedicated varminter. Went with a .204 Ruger, in a little CZ American sporter rifle. This thing is a lot of fun. The set trigger is interesting, the scope mounts are pretty good and the light colored maple stock is striking. Accuracy is very good. The rifle is nicely finished, lightweight and handy.

If I did a lot of high-volume critter-zapping, like at sage rat fields or prarie dog shooting, I'd have a heavy-barrel rifle, but I don't hunt like that very often.

BTW - my oldest son has a .223 Bushmaster AR-15 varminter, with a 6.5-20x Leupold - it is one heck of a varmint-slaying machine!

Regards, Guy

Old#7,

Your 243WSSM is more than adequate for any varmint hunting and it would have very long range beyond 400 yds as long as its accurate. Thats the gun to use.

I see no reason for your comment on the magazine capacity?

I hunt with single shot rifles and when I use a repeater I only load it with two shots.

The 6mm bore is the premier varmint caliber.

Depends on the size of varmint for me, and the range...

If its squirrels or pdogs or coyotes for that matter, to 300-350 yards, I really like my .222 Rem. It does the job with minimal recoil, great accuracy, and low powder consumption!! I've never lost a coyote with a 40g or 55g from the .222 out to 300 yards...

For 400+ yard shots, I would have to say the 25-06 w/85g NBT at 3600fps is my favorite. I"ve shot a few coyotes from 400-600 and they've just been dumped...Squirrels and pdogs, will pretty much tear them in half..

I would like to add a 243 to my collection though. I think a 70g NBT at 3500-3600fps would be just about perfect...

I have a Ruger .22-.250 w/ a heavy barrel that is very accurate & a lot of fun to shoot but as Guy kind of mentioned it is not an ideal rifle to pack around all day. I recently picked up a NEF handi-rifle in .243, it is a very good rifle for this application I believe & for the money the thing shoots pretty darned well.

Jar Head

I've got pair of 788's. One in .223 and the other in .222. My other varminter is a VSL in .243

All do an awesome job on anything from squirrels to yotes. My record kill for the .223 is 507 yards on a pdog that was laughing maliciously at me. The .243 will go pdog hunting for the first time in a couple weeks. But it has already made it's mark on a couple whistlepigs at over 300 yards.

RJ

I have a cz 204 ruger
rem adl 223
A Rem 700 VSSF 220 swift

I love my swift :lol:

204 Ruger CZ 527 Varmint 32 V-Max / 40 Ballistic Tip Prarie Dogs-Coyote
223 T/C Encore 55 V-Max Prarie Dogs-Coyote
243 Browing A-bolt 87 V-Max Coyote, 100 Partition Antelope & Deer

I'm not sure if I have a favorite, but really love the cz for speed and accuracy and hardly any recoil.

The Encore works nicely on critters out to 250 or so.

The Browning shoots the 85-87 grain bullets with excellent accuracy with the same load of 42.5 IMR 4350 and shoots about any 100 grain bullet under an inch with 42.0 RL-22. This is my least picky rifle I own so have to give cool points for that!

#7-

You need at least 2 varmint guns!

A 223 20-24 inch upper on the AR is fantastic for fast shooting of the "little" critters smaller then 'yotes. Bullets from 40 grains to 60 grains work in a 1:9 twist. Also, quick followup shots are avaiable. Shots to 300 yards are routine.

The 243 can be used for chucks and 'yotes on slow fire to maintain barrel life with 70 to 85 grainers. Shots to 500 yards are still deadly.

My 3 rifles are:

223 Mod 788
223 AR15 24 inch Varmint
22-250AI Ruger MKII V/T

I think wingnut has the answer that sounds like the most fun :grin: :grin: :grin:

I have a Remington Sendero 25-06 that rates high on my list. I drilled a woodchuck at 926yds. That was my longest shot.

My other varmint rifles are:
Remington 6mm
Ruger .204
.308 Win

All are great varmint rifles, but my favorite is the 25-06.

My favorite is the Savage 12 VLP in 204.
35 and 40 gr bergers, and 45 gr Hornady sp's for yotes
39 gr blitz kings and 40 gr noslers for the smaller critters.

It took me three shots with a spotter to do this shot. I usually do not attempt these long of shots. I just tried for the heck of it. The chuck didn't move so my spotter told me to try again. Even with missing the second shot by inches the chuck still stood there. I didn't miss the third time. I used rem brass, 54g H4381, Fed mag primer, shooting a 100g Nosler BT

I really like my new Reminton 700 SPS Varmint in .223 Remington. It is definitely a great bang for the buck varmint rifle. 26" bull barrel, synthetic stock, good R3 recoil pad, hinged floor plate, all matte black finish, and I got it for just $419.95 after mail in rebate on sale at the local G.I. Joe's and that included my choice of Leupold mounts. The only thing it really needs is a trigger job, its' trigger is fairly crisp, but pretty heavy. I mounted a Leupold 4.5-14X VX-3 scope on it and it shoots very well considering the heavy trigger pull. I prefer the .223 in a heavy barrel to the heavier calibers because you can spot your own shots. I would like to pick up a sporter in the same caliber for the "walking around" varminter, maybe another SPS, or Tikka or CZ.

Back