velocity on 150 gr AB and RL19

wayles

Beginner
Apr 30, 2007
Bought an old bdl la rem. 700 30-06 on enternet for its action . Paid $ 250 for a complete gun. Decided to clean the barrel spick and span ,adjust trigger, freefloat,pillar,and glasbed just for fun before I tore it down for my next project, [Well I won't be tearing it down.] I found a load that shoots less than .5moa . Its the 150gr ab and RL 19 at 60.5 grains. 60.4 and 60.6 grains shoot the same way. I would love to know what the velocity is if someone could help me out with it . I also need to know the velocity my.300 win mag sendero is going with 76 grains of Rl22 pushing a 150 ab. It mostly shoots bug holes . Both guns are scoped with the burris fullfield ballistiplex 4.5 to 14. Good guns for the Nebraska high plains. The velocity numbers will help me choose the burris ballestiplex chart that is closest to actual performance. Thanks
Wayles

wayles,

Welcome to the forum.

The only way to get a velocity is to chech your rifle and load with a chronograph. Every rifle is an individual.
Sounds like you got a bargin on a nice shooter.

JD338

JD338 is quite right. Differrences in powder lots and guns can make 150 fps swings pretty common. That being said I've shot that same '06 load in my 23" tikka and it did 2820fps. I've done some crossreferencing on the 300 win mag load between some loads I've chrono'd in a 25" barrel and used Quick load as a cross reference and think the 300 win mag load would be doing about 3050-3150.

Re the scope. Here is a really neat website that will help you calibrate your scope to any load and condition.

http://www.eskimo.com/~jbm/ballistics/traj/traj.html

For some reason the site seems to be down today so keep trying it. You can put in any bullet and zero it for any yardage. Then the program will print a chart of information about drops and "minute of angle" performance of the bullet. Ea hashmark on your ballistic plex represents a MOA of site. I don't have the 4.5-15 scopes but do have several 3-9 as well as some custom scope reticles. On my 3-9 burris the moa's of the hashmarks (and I'll bet your scope is the same) are 1.5 for the first hashmark, 4.29 for the next, 7.2 and 10.5. Play with the program a bit and you will get pretty close estimates for any gun from a 45-70 to a 30-378. Good luck and have fun.....let me know if I've made this clear or fuzzy.

I'm a little bored today and played with my Quick target program and this is how I'd set up the guns for longer range shooting. (These are still guesses ....bullets don't always have the coefficient the mfg claims in the real world).

300 win mag
1.3" high 100
0 210
-2 250
-1 300 first hashmark
+1 400 2nd hash
+3 500 3rd mark
+3 600 top of post.
NOw...in the real world it could be vary likely that you are dead on at the 4,5, & 600 yard mark if the bc is just slightly off when shooting.

30-06
+2 100yds
0 220yds
-2 300yds 1st hasmark
0 380yds 2nd hashmark
0 475 3rd hash
0 560 top of post.
for the '06 i'd mark down the yardages and corresponding hashmarks on a small piece of paper and scotch tape it to the top of the scope. NO ANIMAL is going to walk out at even numbers like 400, 500 , 600 yds etc anyway so siting in exactly there is only ez to remember but has nothing to do with real "in field" performance.

One last trick with the ballistic plex......the best way to get them close is to use the first hashmark and work around the 300 yds range with a target to get the impact point above...it will probably make the others alot closer than just going to 100 yds and siting in so many inches high (hope that makes sense.)

Back