9.3X64 and 250 grain AB

Nice shooting Doc. Good luck on your hunt as well. We haven't had much for weather this year. Up until the last storm a few days ago we have had .12" of rain since June.

Making bug holes is not difficult when you start with a good product. I'll give the boys at RMR the credit for turning out a quality product. It is a pleasure to pull the trigger on a fine rifle. Consequently, after measuring, the tightest group on the 300WSM was 0.34 inches. I trust that verification will finish this particular project. On the Brenneke, the upper group was 0.296 inches, which I'll take any day for a calibre over .308; this is likely close to the potential of this particular load. The initial group was likely an anomaly, measuring a breathtaking 0.003 inches. I've only seen such groups on a couple of other occasions. I understand it is an artifact, but it is surely gratifying for a brief moment.

Oh, and the snow is finally falling heavily. We are under a snowfall warning through tomorrow.

That is why I build my own...for the satisfaction you get when they shoot tiny little groups. The crazy thing is many of the larger calibers can be incredibly accurate, most people just can't shoot them as accurately due to the recoil. I'm one of those people too. I have a couple large bore guns that I've shot some tiny groups with but I can't generally do it consistently like the smaller calibers.

Now, there is a deal! I might have to move back to the States just to have one of your builds. :grin:

IdahoCTD":2qn9h28m said:
FOTIS":2qn9h28m said:
I wish I had a rifle that shot like that!

I'm going to finally apply for my FFL so when I get it I can build you one. :mrgreen:

My last custom was a $2900 2.5 MOA POS.
Bad taste in my mouth.

If Idaho starts building I will apply for my Import License and we can order together :wink:
Love to give someone from the forum business if I can.

Blessings,
Dan

FOTIS":3i7o9uut said:
Bad taste in my mouth.

Man that sucks. The builder or barrel maker wouldn't help you out on it? Generally a barrel change will fix that. Unless you really screw up putting it together a poor shooting rifle is a direct result of the barrel. Some are expensive tent stakes.

FOTIS":3jzz5u66 said:
Bad taste in my mouth.

That would definitely leave a bad taste in one's mouth. As has already been stated, I'm surprised that the smith didn't offer to work with you. I've seen the locals actually eat an entire project--when it was the result of obvious abuse or poor maintenance from the purchaser! They felt their reputation was worth more than a single build.

IdahoCTD":27k1x5sg said:
FOTIS":27k1x5sg said:
Bad taste in my mouth.

Man that sucks. The builder or barrel maker wouldn't help you out on it? Generally a barrel change will fix that. Unless you really screw up putting it together a poor shooting rifle is a direct result of the barrel. Some are expensive tent stakes.

NOPE! he said everything that could be done was done....

Was this your .378?

That statement sounds like a cop out. Did he even contact the barrel maker?

IdahoCTD":1wsgj44f said:
Was this your .378?

No he never did anything for me.......

Anyway Nathan, please forget it my stomach aches when I think about that fiasco.

FOTIS":363rmu8d said:
IdahoCTD":363rmu8d said:
Was this your .378?

No he never did anything for me.......

Anyway Nathan, please forget it my stomach aches when I think about that fiasco.

I'd imagine. Sorry to hear that.

Well, the 9.3X64 has a bite. I cannot testify to its efficacy on elk, but I can tell you that it drops whitetail bucks with authority. I put a stalk on a nice little 4X4. It was snowing hard when we spied one another at about 500 yards. I was wearing snow camo, which allowed me to drop and move slowly to a position that put one small tree (about 2.5 meters tall) between me and the buck. I began to slowly work my way closer, when a doe and fawn came out of the woods to the south. Now, I had three to contend with. I worked slowly, watching for when they dropped their heads to graze and endeavouring to keep the tree between me and the buck. At last, I managed to gain the tree. I had ample time to range the little critter at 197 yards. By this time, the doe and fawn had worked their way to where he was grazing. I had to wait about an additional five minutes as the doe was directly behind the buck; I was quite certain that the 250 grain AccuBond leaving the muzzle at 2700 fps would not be stopped by the buck, and I didn't have two tags. Finally, she worked her way slightly ahead of him and he turned to test her for estrus. He did a small turn to look at her backside. "We're not having any of that now," I said, and pulled the trigger. There is a much bigger buck hanging around; he needs to breed her. I felt good about the shot, but when I came out of battery, he was nowhere to be seen. He had dropped as if he were pole-axed. I knew he was hit because I could hear the "whomp" of the impact. The lungs are jellied, but it didn't actually destroy much meat. He is sure a fat little thing. Now, for Dan's sake, mea culpa, I have committed the unpardonable sin--no pictures. It was a one mile slog back to my truck, and candidly, I was exhausted. Still, it was a great hunt. Oh, the doe and the fawn, scampered about a hundred yards and began to graze again until I actually walked up to the buck, at which point they bounded into the woods. I never did see an elk. Okay, that's my tale, and I'm sticking to it.

DrMike, congratulations on your deer kill with the 9.3x64. I do not doubt that the 250 gr AccuBond at that velocity, put the deer down fast!

I am sort of following you down the 9.3 path here with my 9.3x74R, Number One. I have a question? How did you find the 250 grain AccuBond bullets? There are none, not one, available in the US and Midway will not have any until mid-November. I can buy the 286 gr Partitions which I did, but not 250 gr Accubonds! I did a search and found none.

I can't believe that two 9.3mm rifes being delivered put them in back order? I also put them in back order on the Redding dies set as well. Good grief! My rifle arrives at the FFL on Monday.

I snagged three or four boxes last spring when I was anticipating delivery of my rifle, so I had a few on hand.

DrMike":1c6n47mn said:
"We're not having any of that now," I said, and pulled the trigger.

What a way to go out... :shock:

Congrats on christening your build, DrMike. Come on, elk!

Back