Vertical Stringing

hereinaz

Beginner
Dec 19, 2016
When reloading, assuming no other factor, what causes vertical stringing? And, why do some like to see it to know they are closing in on a good load?

I tried google, but wasn't satisfied... thanks.

I know there are lots of other things that contribute to VS like breathing, jumping bipod/rear bag, contact with stock, etc. But, assuming nothing like that affects it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

One thing that causes vertical spread is not pushing your rifle back in the same place in the bags. A fore end stop can help with this. Another is a head wind that's not steady.
Billy

Vertical stringing is a bad load, neck tension, bullet seating depth, barrel harmonics.

What set up do you have? Gun, bullet, powder , loads...

Also not loading the bipod correctly.

If I have a rifle shooting groups that string the bullets, either vertical or horizontal, the first thing I do is check the rifle. As the barrel heats it can swell or move and contact the stock and begin pushing against it. I do everything I can to the rifle that needs doing before I even begin shooting for accuracy.
Usually I free float the barrel then glass bed the stock, recoil lug, rear tang and the first 2 inches of the barrel. I also do a thinner layer in the barrel channel but still leave the barrel free floating.
I also adjust the trigger so it's actually possible to shoot those tiny groups.
What I'm looking for is a 3 shot group in a triangle as tight as possible. I try to get this by varying the seating depth. There is more than one node so if a load doesn't cooperate I sometimes seat deeper and look for another node.
I go the extra mile in my case prep and loading process to include turning the case necks etc. to achieve consistency.

I've seen 2 rifles over the years that would string the shots. One was a 700 CDL Stainless 243W that I owned. I tried 3 different stocks and 3 scopes. Factory ammo and many diff handloads. As the barrel heated up it would vertical string about 10" up the 12 o'clock line. When you remove the action , you could see the aluminum marking the SIDE of the action. I shimmed the front screw with pop can aluminum - 2 shims. This helped. I think the action screw holes were not centered in the action but did not verify. Just guessing. The gun would actually shoot a group at that time. Not a great group but a group that you could hunt with. I ended up trading that gun in for a Savage 243 and was happy with the trade.
The other gun was a owned by a friend's father. It was a 700 from the 1970's that after you shot one group with it the second was a crescent arc about 1 1/2 " long. Some of the holes touching of the 5 shot group, but a horizontal string it was. He was happy with the gun and load as he should be. The first 4 - 6 shots were all in the group before it would "walk the dog" as we would call it back then.

what are you calling vertical stringing , and at what distance ? how many inches vertical are you talking ? here are a few targets that show seating depth changes . these were all shot the same day with the exact same components . only difference is seating depth .

the reason I asked the questions above is , would this be called horizontal stringing ?

Thanks jimbires. That helps alot.

And, thanks to the others. I feel like I know so much more about this game every time I come here.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Back