Vital Areas and bullets debates.

mj30wilson

Beginner
May 20, 2006
Any web sites that list vital areas on game and the kill statistics when hit in areas, Game from varmints to medium to large game? Also what is the consenses on Barnes triple shock and X bullets compared to Nosler Ballistic tip, AccuBond, and Partition. What is the better deer bullet and what is the differance between the ballistic tip and the AccuBond as far as what they can bring down which preferred for deer. Say .270 WSM Vs. DEER!

Perferred Deer bullets in each:
Remington
Speer
Sierra
Winchester
Barnes
NOSLER
Swift

Just would like a general discussion on what different brands and types of bullets are being used to deer hunt and who you think reigns supreme I am a nosler fan and use accubonds how bout you?

Try this:
http://www.nbef.org/pdfs/bearshotplacement.pdf
http://www.bowhunting.net/NAspecies/elk2.html

IMHO, the best bullet for deer is the BT, but when impact velocities are under 3000 fps. I have killed many with the 140 gr BT from a 280 Rem and most drop in their tracks. I have also used the PT in several calibers to kill countless WT deer ase well as Mule deer, Antalope, Blk Bear, and Elk. Always get an exit wound and excellent performance on game.
Accuracy is excellent, with sub MOA in all my rifles.
In your 270WSM, the 140 gr AB would be an excellent choice for everything both near and far.

JD338

JD338":ciixd5f7 said:
Try this:
http://www.nbef.org/pdfs/bearshotplacement.pdf
http://www.bowhunting.net/NAspecies/elk2.html

IMHO, the best bullet for deer is the BT, but when impact velocities are under 3000 fps. I have killed many with the 140 gr BT from a 280 Rem and most drop in their tracks. I have also used the PT in several calibers to kill countless WT deer ase well as Mule deer, Antalope, Blk Bear, and Elk. Always get an exit wound and excellent performance on game.
Accuracy is excellent, with sub MOA in all my rifles.
In your 270WSM, the 140 gr AB would be an excellent choice for everything both near and far.

JD338

+1

I like the 150 Partitions for everything from antelope to elk in the 270 WSM. Perfect bullet for big bucks quartering away at long range. I've also found it one of the most accurate bullets I've ever used. 3/8 inch groups at 100 yards. I harvested an adult cow elk last year at 444 yards with this bullet with one shot. Used the same load to harvest an antelope buck at 401 yards and an antelope doe at 350 yards.....perefect performance on them as well. Great multi-use bullet with better penetrating ability than the 140 Accubonds and just as accurate.

Brad

The Partition is a pretty amazing bullet. I decided I liked it a very long time ago, and it sure seems to be more accurate now than it was 20 or 30 years ago. Good all-around bullet in situations where penetration is real important.

I've used it mostly on larger stuff, like wild hogs. Chose it for my big bull elk too. Never recovered a Partition bullet... Looking forward to trying the 300 grainer in my .45-70 Marlin.

Nosler's ballistic tip is good too - although I prize it for accuracy and rapid expansion - I've been impressed at the penetration as well - as long as velocity isn't too high. I've seen 'em penetrate completely through mulies, and have also seen them come apart dramatically on mulies. Those mulies were dead too though. Pretty darned good deer bullet.

Haven't gotten around to trying the AccuBond yet. I hear it's the cat's meow for the .300 RUM and other high velocity cartridges that tend to take bullets apart w/high impact velocity.

Seems like there's always stories of bullet failure, but all in all I'm very happy with the performance of Nosler bullets. I thought they had it covered 20+ years ago with the solid base and the Partition, but they keep coming up with good new stuff.

Regards, Guy

In a .270 WSM the BT, AB and NP will all work on deer. The AB will penetrate deeper than the BT and the NP deeper than the AB.

In the vitals I cannot imagine that you would see any difference. At longer ranges (less velocity) you should see more expansion from the BT and if you are one of those that likes to break bones or shoot em in the rear-end the NP is a better option.

The AB is a great bullet near and far. I have seen a good mix of game from whitetails to eland shot with ABs in calibers from .25 to .375, all with good results.

Your 270wsm is going to give you some very high impact vel. This is where a premium (NAB, NP) or super premium bullet (BarnesTSX) shines. Unless you are sure your impact vel. is under 2800fps or so, I would pass on the NBT & go NAB or NP in 130-140gr. The NBT fragments at impact speed much above 2700fps, so I would only concider it as a long range bullet.

There is always a lot of jazz on the subject but ultimately what makes a kill is a hole getting poked through an important area. Logic says that a bigger hole will make the recipient fall dead more quickly. I dislike the Barnes bullets because they are so darned expensive and often don't give much expansion. The NP has been my staple for many years without ever failing me. I have now included the NAB in my 30 cal for deer antelope and black bear sized game. The wound channel tends to be a bit larger, and the poly tips don't deform as much with the in and out of the chamber/magazine. I will always use the NP in my 35, it is the only make and model that I can comfortably settle on to always perform in a manner that I can understand and accept. I've seen the results of some nasty wounds resulting from uncontrolled expansion by bullets bearing the speer and hornady names, and also the BT, and that has totally sold me on Noslers harder bullets.

To be honest I have had good results on deer sized game from a number of bullets, but my favorite has been the NBT. I will say the AB is making a strong case for itself now, just hasn't had as many filled tags to match up to the NBT standards.

Shot placements is paramount but I still like a bigger wound channel, so while bullets like the barnes TSX have done the job I prefer Noslers. Having to chose what I think in theory is the ultimate deer buller it would have to be the AB's at this point, all the benefits of NBT but added insurance of part or similar for tougher sluggin'!

Back