Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44?

wisconsinteacher

Handloader
Dec 2, 2010
I am thinking about this scope for the 6mmBR build. I have a Viper HS and really like it. That scope is a 4-16x44. What are your thoughts on this scope out to 500 yards?

Works Great. I have one on my 6mm-284. Also a bunch of my buddies have them on their LR rigs.

2012-12-08140327.jpg

I need to be honest, I have never shot out to 500. I would like to hit steel or milk jugs at 500 yards. Is this a scope that could do it?

Absolutely. The capability is there for sure!

The Viper you have in mind will serve you well for the purpose you envision.

Freakin awesome scope! Tracks very well and always returns to zero. Put one on my 22-250 and its a hammer. Shot a chuck at 634 yards, comfirmed, last summer with it. Dialed 11 moa and splat! Dialed back to zero, and shot 5 into a dime at 100yds the next day. Well worth the money in my opinion. I plan on buying another viper for my 257 Bob ackley!

If you buy one, get online and use their ballistics calculator. It is right on if you use it correctly!

Attachments

• 100_1181.JPG
    100_1181.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 1,523
I called Cameraland today and asked how many they had. He said 26 and it will be a long time before they see them again. I then removed one from their stock. It is the first part for my 6br build. It is on now.

wisconsinteacher":1hcd93tk said:
I called Cameraland today and asked how many they had. He said 26 and it will be a long time before they see them again. I then removed one from their stock. It is the first part for my 6br build. It is on now.

Good move on your part.

I just did a quick video on one of those Vortex Vipers from Camera Land:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beUbnX0s9n4

Have not had a chance to try it out at the range yet.

In regards to shooting at 500yds... I had no problems hitting a steel plate at 500 yards with an old Simmons whitetail classic on my AR. This Viper should easily be able to accomplish this.

I plan to use mine out to 1000 yards on my 260. I need about 32 MOA to reach out that far with the 260 and these vipers have between 65 and 68 MOA of internal adjustment.. I will probably need an inclined base but I plan to test it out first.

I had the 50mm version on my 338Edge. It held up great and dialed right every time. Smacked my biggest bear with it @595 yards, and shot a 2" 3 shot group @ 600 with it the week before. I liked it. Not the clearest scope at max power, but functioned perfectly. For the money they can't be beat.

Back