Vortex Viper HS Scope

Rem Jim

Handloader
Jan 7, 2012
Just bought a Vortex Viper HS matt black scope 4-16 x 44 with dead hold reticle and a 33 MM tube . :grin:

Any one have and used this same scope at all :?: What do you think of t :?:

Cheers :grin: RJ

Any one using Vortex Scopes and Binos out there with any comments :?: :wink:

Cheers :) RJ

I've had two of their scopes. Both have found new owners. I felt they were a little large in size for my likings.

Otherwise, the glass was ok.

I have the 2.5-10 on my M48 257 Bob. I only took it to the range once so far, but I'm convinced its a great value for the money. I also bought the new Vortex Razor HD 12x50 binos and 16-48 x 65 spotter for my upcoming hunts this fall. I compared them with swaros and leicas, and my eyes preferred the Vortex. I don't think you can beat them for the money. I think you will be happy with them RJ. What rifle is it going on?

I have the same scope, Dad has 2 of them in the LR configuration. We really like them, and while not a Zeiss Conquest for clarity they are a great value. I would not hesitate to use one.

wayno945":2h1uy7us said:
I have the 2.5-10 on my M48 257 Bob. I only took it to the range once so far, but I'm convinced its a great value for the money. I also bought the new Vortex Razor HD 12x50 binos and 16-48 x 65 spotter for my upcoming hunts this fall. I compared them with swaros and leicas, and my eyes preferred the Vortex. I don't think you can beat them for the money. I think you will be happy with them RJ. What rifle is it going on?

I will prob mount it up on my new being Built right now 22-250 Remm M700 26 " XCR100 barrel rifle !
Just looking throught it is very impressive how bright and clear it is . :grin: I have had a 4-12 Diamond back for a few years on a 243 Win M700 and i have to say i am impressed with it !

Cheers :) RJ

My issue is opacity. When you buy a Vortex, you are getting a scope from Japan, Philippines or China. That is all you know and I have seen little comparative testing between these Asian scopes and either American or German scopes.

I just bought a 3.5-10x44 Conquest for under $500 which is a little more money than the Viper HS. Many are telling me that the Conquest is brighter and has better optics. Where is the incentive to buy this scope over the Conquest given the cost differential?

Tought to to compare unless side by side on rifles in the field but i have had my Vortex Diamaond Back for a few years - i have it on my Coyote rifle so it gets used in the tough conditions - no issues with it YET !

Cheers RJ

I had a couple of Crossfires and a Diamondback Vortexes and the variable ones had Coma to about 5X.

Oldtrader3":3tfzt1lm said:
My issue is opacity. When you buy a Vortex, you are getting a scope from Japan, Philippines or China. That is all you know and I have seen little comparative testing between these Asian scopes and either American or German scopes.

I just bought a 3.5-10x44 Conquest for under $500 which is a little more money than the Viper HS. Many are telling me that the Conquest is brighter and has better optics. Where is the incentive to buy this scope over the Conquest given the cost differential?

Tonight we were out shooting in preparation for some fall hunts. As a result I had the chance to shoot our Vortex Viper HS LR as well as a Zeiss 4.5-14x50 and a Swarovski Z3.

I have to agree with Charlie. The Zeiss Conquest was a few years ago a $800 retail scope. The cost has come down over the past few years while the Vortex Viper HS LR has increased by $100. The difference in clarity is significant, much more than I would have guessed had I not been thinking about Charlie's comments as I was shooting. The Zeiss is clearly (pun intended) a better scope than the Vortex for a nominal difference in today's money. Had the cost difference not been about $250-300 when our Vortex was purchased I think we would have purchased a Zeiss instead. I say this especially since I own a few of the Zeiss Conquests and continue to recommend them. I wish more of the Conquest models had target turrets, as that is one nice option of the Viper HS LR.

Thanks for the comments on price and clarity, Charlie. They are quite accurate.

OH the Clarity issue ! OK my next scope will be a Zeiss Conquest ! Cheers RJ

I have the 4x16x44 HS LR and really like it. Also have a 6x24x50 Viper PST, also great scope.

With my eyes the clarity is great up to about 3/4 of the power rating. 12x on the 4x16 and about 20x on the 6x24. Above that and the clarity suffers but for all the options and ruggedness I went this way with my last few purchases. What is impressive is the Focus on the LR and PST while shooting paper, very clear.

I have a Viper HS 4-16x44 on my 30-06...I have no complaints about it, very clear glass and dependable turrets.

Very nice looking setup. The Vortex HS is a fine scope. I've used one, and it served me quite well.

Sounds GOOD on the Vortex ! I guess i better get mine mounted up on something and test it out Hey ! :lol:

Cheers RJ

Back