VX6

DrMike

Ballistician
Nov 8, 2006
I just received in the mail this morning a brand, spanking new 2-12 X 42 Leupold VX6. I'll shortly mount it on a Ruger 6.5 Creedmoor and give a report of how it performs at the range. My first impressions are positive. I opted for the Boone & Crockett reticle. The dials are sufficiently large with crisp numbering to ensure that even a myopic curmudgeon such as myself can read them. The scope seems to weigh a bit more than I anticipated, but on the whole it looks quite sharp. Looking through the glass, there doesn't seem to be any problems. In all, it looks like a winner at first glance.

An interesting sidelight is that the mail came while my wife was in the kitchen. There was no sneaking it into the man cave. After twenty questions, I retreated to the safety of my hideout. Fortunately, it is her birthday and I had just hit a home run with an inspired selection of jewelry that was found near her coffee this morning. Whew!

Great grab Mike. I know how the retreat to the man cave is sometimes one of the best feelings a man can feel. Scotty

My retreat was with the prize intact. I just showed the scope to an RCMP friend. His only comment was, "You know you shouldn't show me my Christmas present before it is wrapped." The more I lift this scope, the better I like it. It will likely be the New Year before I can get a picture up.

I had heard that they were finally shipping a few VX-6's to preordered customers. That is good to hear. I am not sure if I ever will buy one of these scopes but I am certainly most interested to see if they meet or exceed all of the hyperbole that preceded release to market. I am looking forward to reading an impartial review of this scope by someone who knows and has extensive experience with products other than exclusively Leupold. I am sure that the usual gunwriter's will be on it like hound dogs on a skunk.

Sorry for your bad luck on scope package to man cave experience. I have been there as have we all, I suspect. Buying your way out always works best.

Buying your way out always works best.

Yeah, it's always possible that this scope will wind up costing me a few thousand dollars. I really don't know the price of living room suites any more. :roll:

An interesting sidelight is that the mail came while my wife was in the kitchen. There was no sneaking it into the man cave. After twenty questions, I retreated to the safety of my hideout. Fortunately, it is her birthday and I had just hit a home run with an inspired selection of jewelry that was found near her coffee this morning. Whew!

:lol: :lol: :lol: Man, I can't imagine what would be the topic of conversation if we can get all of our wives together.

DrMike, looking forward for your review on the VX6.

Man, I can't imagine what would be the topic of conversation if we can get all of our wives together.

Such an event could generate some tense moments for most of us. My review is going to be delayed. I'm putting this on a Ruger 6.5 Creedmoor, and there are no 30 mm rings available at the moment in the store. They are sold out because of all the Huskemaw scopes going out the door. It will be another week or two, and that will undoubtedly be pushed back with Christmas, Boxing Day and New Years Day.

Desert Fox":2645z593 said:

:lol: :lol: :lol: Man, I can't imagine what would be the topic of conversation if we can get all of our wives together.

DrMike, looking forward for your review on the VX6.

Wives...together....STOP IT! you are gonna give me nightmares! Should be a wonderful combination! send pics! CL

PS: of the rifle please. In case tha wasnt clear....

Mike,

The VX-6 is one fine scope.

If your wife is like mine, its gonna cost you big time! :wink:

JD338

Jim,

I suspect that before this is said and done, I'll be in the hole for some time. Hopefully, it'll be worth it.

DrMike":21k5jcq1 said:
Man, I can't imagine what would be the topic of conversation if we can get all of our wives together.

Such an event could generate some tense moments for most of us. My review is going to be delayed. I'm putting this on a Ruger 6.5 Creedmoor, and there are no 30 mm rings available at the moment in the store. They are sold out because of all the Huskemaw scopes going out the door. It will be another week or two, and that will undoubtedly be pushed back with Christmas, Boxing Day and New Years Day.

Totally off topic: I ordered some Seekins 30mm Picatinny rings a couple of days ago. Ouch! Between two sets of Leupold Ruger ringmounts (lows for my .358 Hawkeye and 30mm highs for my .220 Mk. II V/T, it was over $250 from SWFA!

DrMike":poiwug2j said:
Jim,

I suspect that before this is said and done, I'll be in the hole for some time. Hopefully, it'll be worth it.

Truthfully Mike, I am not sure we ever come out of the hole...

Corlane Sporting Goods is the Canadian distributor for Huskemaw scopes. Consequently, sales for these scopes have been very good. They sell and mount a goodly number of scopes each week as the long range shooting craze has taken off. To answer your question before you ask, no, I don't own a single Huskemaw. I have Swarovski, Zeiss, Kahles, Leupold and one lone Vortex.

I noticed that the Huskamaw prices in the US have come down a little in price from what they were a few years ago. I have looked through one outside of a store and don't own any.

The "Blue Diamond" line has upped sales considerably for Huskemaw. People have seen these on television and they can't wait to put them on their rifles.

I know this thread is about the scope....but I can't help commenting on the under tone as well.

1. We must get more creative on getting guns, scopes, etc. into the man cave. My favorite was to take an empty hardcase out the door, saying I was going shooting, and come back a few hours later with a new toy.
2. Never, never, never allow our wives or significant others to talk to each other or get together.
3. Have more kids/grandkids we can use as excuses to buy more. I will need another safe if my kids ever do get married and start having kids!
4. Get your daughters involved in your hunting /shooting passions. Mom can't say no if she sees her little girls involved with you.

Add to the list guys...we all need help and can learn from each other :mrgreen:

Now, Joel, I've not become that devious ... yet. Great suggestions, though.

Mike,

I'm also looking forward to this review, and you wound up with the '6 before me after all, lol.

I'm still back and forth on whether I want to go after one next year. I have a Conquest on my 30-06 that would be a sweetheart on my 257 Roberts if a VX6 found its way to my '06. I've also considered a Minox or Cabela's Euro for my 257 and I'd just leave the Conquest where it is. Not sure what I'll do yet.

Don't worry, Charlie. I won't review any scopes I get....

Tom, feel free to review any scopes that you have used and compared under field conditions. My only issue is with scopes that have been compared in a store or or environment with a different light color spectrum (3,500 degrees K) than natural light (6,000-10,000 degrees Kelvin).

Not trying to hamper free expression just the creative marketeers who design coatings to Kelvin match flourerscent lights.

Back