Walker Game ear or similar?

FOTIS

Range Officer
Staff member
Oct 30, 2004
OK Fellas this is my dilemma.
Disabled veteran with very bad hearing. VA issued in the ear hearing aids which without them my hearing is very poor.

Now, I hunt with a lot of guns that have muzzle brakes and hearing protection is pertinent and paramount when I shoot these guns. That is ok on the range but does not help out in the field while I hunt. So this is what I am looking for.

I want to replace my hearing aids with some kind of in-the-ear (buds) electronic hearing protection but that can somewhat magnify ambient sound a bit so I will not be totally deaf as I hunt.

I have been looking hard at these https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1022561770?pid=596785 I don't need Bluetooth but for the price.....

Will these fit my requirements? Nothing is stated about amplifying ambient sound. Maybe something else?

A friend of mine uses Peltor in ear hearing protection and is quite happy, they seem similar to the ones in the post.
I read that the jaw bone transmits some sounds, too - so Micky mouse still protects better.
But that wasn't the question.

I just looked at those the other day, if you pull up the spec sheet, under amplification it says No. The earmuff/headphone style works good fro am[plifying ambient and shutting out gunshots, but when I used them up in a treestand, I experienced vertigo.
The Caldwell E-Max shadow pro ear buds is what I ordered , and I'm waiting for them to arrive.
ear max shadow

Last edited:
Fotis
I have a Walker's game ear that is amazing for picking up sound.
We have backpacks and keep shooting muffs in there. Sue has Walkers shooting muffs with noise cancellation. They work pretty well.

JD338

I have the Walker muffs that I have been using at the range but just this past week ordered the Axil GS Extreme 2.0 ear buds
I have have yet to fire a shot with them in and only tried them in the house but so far I like them. They also have bluetooth which I don't really need but it's there.
They are having a BOGO offer at their full retail of $199.99 or something like that with free shipping but tax was added. A friend had been looking at them too so we will have just a few $$$ over $100 in them.

Fotis I wear hearing aids also and always leave them home when shooting or hunting but have used Peltor electronic muffs that worked extremely well when shooting rifles and pistols. I would wear them for competition were I needed to hear range commands and when the shooting started they would shut out the excessive noise protecting my ears.
This year at Camp Perry I noticed lots of the shooters wearing the Walker electronic earmuffs and I would go that way and use your aids while driving and take them out and use the muffs while hunting or shooting.

Fotis I wear hearing aids also and always leave them home when shooting or hunting but have used Peltor electronic muffs that worked extremely well when shooting rifles and pistols. I would wear them for competition were I needed to hear range commands and when the shooting started they would shut out the excessive noise protecting my ears.
This year at Camp Perry I noticed lots of the shooters wearing the Walker electronic earmuffs and I would go that way and use your aids while driving and take them out and use the muffs while hunting or shooting.
Same boat here. I do have peltors and several other electronic earmuffs. I just do not to wear them while hunting. Bulky, covering your head in inclement weather etc.

I opted for the Walkers listed above. They have bluetooth, thus ambient sound can be adjusted.

I have the Walker muffs that I have been using at the range but just this past week ordered the Axil GS Extreme 2.0 ear buds
I have have yet to fire a shot with them in and only tried them in the house but so far I like them. They also have bluetooth which I don't really need but it's there.
They are having a BOGO offer at their full retail of $199.99 or something like that with free shipping but tax was added. A friend had been looking at them too so we will have just a few $$$ over $100 in them.
Let me know how they work for you at the range. I have a set, and it seems to me that I do not get nearly as much noise reduction/cancelling with them as I do with my Walker's electronic muffs.

Same boat here. I do have peltors and several other electronic earmuffs. I just do not to wear them while hunting. Bulky, covering your head in inclement weather etc.

I opted for the Walkers listed above. They have bluetooth, thus ambient sound can be adjusted.
Let me know how they work for you.
I know what you mean about the muffs being bulky and covering your head in inclement weather since I have been caught in down pours at Camp Perry where we stand on an open range with no cover when we shoot, I now wear behind the neck style muffs which are less bulky and don't cover your head.

Let me know how they work for you at the range. I have a set, and it seems to me that I do not get nearly as much noise reduction/cancelling with them as I do with my Walker's electronic muffs.
I still haven't fired a round with them yet but want to ask which tips did you install on yours. I'm using the shorter foam but there is a longer foam that also came with mine that is supposed to have slightly higher protection. I understand that it could be in the electronics also. My older Howard Leight muffs do a better job than my walker muffs as far as the electronics shutting down the noise but the covering on the headband of the (HL) started coming off.

I fired 10 rounds of low range 44 mag today and the Axils seem to work just find the real test I guess will be when I shoot my XP100's with a muzzle brake. So far I like them.

Fotis,
Do your hearing aids block loud noises? My Dad's will block above 80 dB, so they work as hearing protection in the field. He can wear them hunting or shooting, though will usually put muffs on when at the range.
He also uses Sport Ears, which will amplify and block. From what I can find the model he used is not made any more...and he lost them 2 months ago.
I use custom hearing protection from EAR, Inc which also amplifies. https://earinc.com/ Not cheap, but they work well and are adjustable.

Having lost approximately 85% of my hearing I’m considering these but so far just using Walker electronic earmuffs.

I like having more ear protection and wonder if the in the ear type actually block as much sound. Also, I wear my hearing aids under the muffs and it seems to work very well for me.

Vince

Last edited:
I'm a hearing aid wearer and use them under my Walker Electronic muffs at the range either turning all the way down or off. None of my rifles have brakes so when hunting I turn my hearing aids off before shooting if I have the time if not the noise reduction seems to be reduced somewhat best, I can tell. Hasn't caused any problems so far. Dan.

@FOTIS do you have any feedback on the ear pro you purchased? Just curious.
So far they are working well. Key is finding the optimum (for your ears) size of the foamies that go in the ear canal. Several sets are included.

FOTIS. What specific model did you get in the Walker, I have the same issues with a hearing aid.

Back