Wanted 405 Winchester brass

FOTIS

Range Officer
Staff member
Oct 30, 2004
Let me know if you have any for sale or you know somewhere where I can buy some. I looked for ammunition and their $10 a round.... Not an option ... At those prices

Well if you want to be creative
IMG_3308.jpeg

I can’t seem to find any in searches.
Good luck , I hope you find some.

Well if you want to be creative
View attachment 19532

I can’t seem to find any in searches.
Good luck , I hope you find some.
Unfortunately I tried that route with 9.3x74R. Both it and the 7x65R have a head size of .468" The 405 Win has a head size of .461. I trimmed some 9.3's and resized them. The die of course will not resize the head, leaving me with a home made "magnum belt" just in front of the rim. I can jam them into the chamber but it is not practical at all. I did shoot a 41 magnum 180 gr cast out of one 9.3 made brass with 12 grains of bullseye. It fired fine but upon extraction it ripped the rim off. Live and learn.

Unfortunately I tried that route with 9.3x74R. Both it and the 7x65R have a head size of .468" The 405 Win has a head size of .461. I trimmed some 9.3's and resized them. The die of course will not resize the head, leaving me with a home made "magnum belt" just in front of the rim. I can jam them into the chamber but it is not practical at all. I did shoot a 41 magnum 180 gr cast out of one 9.3 made brass with 12 grains of bullseye. It fired fine but upon extraction it ripped the rim off. Live and learn.
Well that sucks.

I've read that you can form it from 30/40 Krag brass but have not had a need to try it myself.

Fotis , have you tried Qual Cartridge Co. ? They show it on their web site for $53.25 for 20 pieces.
Optics and ammo website shows Hornady 405 brass $105.54 for 50 pieces.

Have you looked at 303 British, they are shorter and slightly smaller, but not sure it they are close enough

The Handloader's Manual Of Cartridge Conversions says: "Factory brass is available from Hornady and Bertram. Can be made in a short version from 30-40 Krag brass." As you said, the head size of 7x65R is .468". The head size of 30-40 Krag is .457". The .405 Win is a unique case, with it's .460" or .461" head (depending on what you read) and unfortunately a 100% conversion satisfaction isn't available. Until you can find factory .405 brass I believe 30-40 brass is your best option.

I would fireform with bullseye, Cream of Wheat, and a plug (toilet paper or wax). This will blow out the case with less preassure.

The Handloader's Manual Of Cartridge Conversions says: "Factory brass is available from Hornady and Bertram. Can be made in a short version from 30-40 Krag brass." As you said, the head size of 7x65R is .468". The head size of 30-40 Krag is .457". The .405 Win is a unique case, with it's .460" or .461" head (depending on what you read) and unfortunately a 100% conversion satisfaction isn't available. Until you can find factory .405 brass I believe 30-40 brass is your best option.
correct. still a little short though. Anyway got some to play with now. Why do I do this to me? Must I always go for the oddballs?? Glutton for punishment!

I thought I might be able to find some 405 brass around here, lots of old cowboys and old guns. Checked three shops today while in town, no joy.

Fotis in my search for 405 brass I happened upon Norma's web page for cylinder brass and they have .45 cylinder rifle brass bags of 50 for 163.90 euro. Not sure if this can be sized to what you need or not.

Why do I do this to me? Must I always go for the oddballs?? Glutton for punishment!
Try finding brass for a 43 Beaumont. My brother has one sitting by him that they want to use. I’m having zero luck without breaking the bank.

Back