Wanting to Build a 338-06 Rifle

Mighty Peace":bx70fynf said:
You mentioned about the 338-06AI. Does RCBS make dies for the 338-06AI? HOw much more for velocity can be expected over the 338-06

Thanks.

Yes, RCBS offers dies. My gunsmith has a 338-06AI and is shooting a 200 gr BT at 3000 fps.

JD338

What powders would you recommend using the 225gr AccuBond?

You really got me thinking on the AI version. Do you think its that much better? Or not worth the hassle of fireforming the brass.

Thanks for the help.

Well its ordered now. I talked to my gunsmith (Rocky Mountain Rifles) and he said to go with the AI version. He has built a few and has one himself. So its going to be a 24" #5 PacNor Barrel - Super Match-Grade SS. I haven't decided if I'm going to flute it or not. My gunsmith does a great job fluting as I have a Sako m75SS 300WM fluted with the factory barrel poloshed and flutes teflon coated.

Difference in weight b/w a #4 & #5 is 0.35 lbs.

New barrel should be ready by early July. I think I have the factory Sako new barrel in 25-06 sold, so that will help offset the cost of the new one. I'm just pumped now.

NOw got to buy some 225gr Accubonds and maybe 250's when they come out. Thanks for the input guys. Its greatly appreciated. :grin:

Mighty Peace

Congratulations on the 338-06 AI. #5 barrel 24" is just about perfect. With fluting, it is the perfect barrel. :wink:

The 225 gr AB will be a nice thumper for the longer ranges too.

JD338

Now to get prepared for my new rifle. Whats the best way to go for brass......use 30-06 and resize and fireform it or buy Norma 338-06AS brass and fireform it for my 338-06AI?

Thanks for the help. :grin:

Mighty Peace":1c94ndap said:
Now to get prepared for my new rifle. Whats the best way to go for brass......use 30-06 and resize and fireform it or buy Norma 338-06AS brass and fireform it for my 338-06AI?

Thanks for the help. :grin:

I like to get as close as I can to proper headstamps so I'd buy the Norma brass.

In your opinion, would a #4 contour barrel be more logical if I dont flute the rifle? The weight difference between the #4 & #5 is 0.35lbs. so I thought with heavier bullets and the laminate stock of the Sako m75 it should be better with the #5 for accuracy and recoil.

Do you think the #4 or fluted to be too light?

Thanks for the input.

Mighty Peace

Mighty Peace

FWIW, here is a pic of my M700 with a Hart #5 24" fluted, pillar bedded 280 AI. The weight as shown is 9.0 lbs.
JD700280AI.jpg

The #5 will be a little stiffer than a #4 so you should get a little better accuracy. The flutes should lighten up the #5 barrel about .3 to .5 lb.

JD338

Thats one sweet looking rifle. Thanks for the input. I called my gunsmith again and he said to go with the #5 barrel as it will give better accuracy. People worry about weight issues. This isnt a sheep rifle. So with the fluting it will weigh less than a #4 and be alot stiffer too.

A factory Sako m75 Greywolf in the "IV" action calibers (30-06, 270)weigh about 7 13/16 lbs. and the "V" (300WM/338WM) weigh 8 3/8 lbs.

I'll post pics of the completed package. I'm going to have the flutes powder coated and the rest bead blasted stainless. I have a Sako m75SS 300WM done thiis way except the barrel is polished and flutes are teflon coated black.

Mighty Peace

The #5 barrel contour is the better way to go.
Looking forward to seeing the pictures when your project is completed.

JD338

JD338":21m8zg6z said:
Mighty Peace

FWIW, here is a pic of my M700 with a Hart #5 24" fluted, pillar bedded 280 AI. The weight as shown is 9.0 lbs.
JD700280AI.jpg

The #5 will be a little stiffer than a #4 so you should get a little better accuracy. The flutes should lighten up the #5 barrel about .3 to .5 lb.

JD338

JD338,

I got the 25-06 factory barrel taken off yesterday at my gunsmith and was looking at the fluting work they will be doing. How many flutes is your rifle - 6 or 8? Looks like 6. Do you know the dimensions of you r flutes? I was going to go with 8 like my 300WM I have done but I may go with 6, just being a bit larger in size similar to yours as I seen one they gunsmith just completed and being prepped for powder coating.

Thanks for the help. Should have the rifle by mid July now. I also just purchased a mint Sako m75 Greywolf in 300WSM with Leupold scope the same way I am doing up my 338-06AI project.

Cant wait for the new caliber thou.

Mighty Peace

My Hart barrel has 6 fluts, .225" wide and .070" deep.

JD338

Sorry to bring this thread back up but I am having a dilemma of major proportions!! In fact, aren't all rifle decisions a major dilemma? :grin:

As some of you know from my previous postings, I have a Win Mod 70 FW 30-06 with accuracy issues. It is being glass bedded, along with a trigger job, with my gunsmith to see if we can improve it.

I want a .338 caliber rifle to round out my guns and take care of pretty much anything, except a maybe grizz, when and if I ever make it to Alaska or Canada. I have a Win Mod 70 FW .270 (a tack driver), Interarms Mk X .308 (tack driver with mannlichter stock), and this 30-06.

I am 99.9% sure that I am going to buy a Savage 116 FHSS Weather Warrior. I really don't want to buy a .338 Win Mag due to recoil and I am not sure I would use it to its fullest capabilities where I hunt 95% of the time (in Alabama).

Is this a good or bad idea? Buy the Savage 116 FHSS in 30-06 and have it rebarreled to the .338-06AI? That way I get to keep my Win Mod 70 30-06, which I really want to do, and also have the .338 cal option and be able to use my extra 30-06 brass. I also don't want to deal with belted mag cases.

I'd say, find a used rifle-if you like Winchester m70 (in 270/30-06) for a good price and then rebarrel it. Cheaper thats for sure. Or just rebarrel the 30-06 you have issues with and dont look back. You have a great 270 and 308 it sounds like already.

Me I wanted a Sako m75 Greyolf done up because I prefer Sako rifles, and I just happened to find a new 25-06 (needed the IV action type).

Savage would be a good buy too I guess for new as the prices are great and they shoot good, but I personally do not like the looks of them.

Just my opinion.

My rifle should be ready by end of the month (338-06AI). CANT WAIT!! Already had Christmas with our Alberta Hunting Draws as I got my Bull Moose again, cow elk. Missed on the Mulie but I can get a general tag and hunt in Archery season for them. Trophy Bighorn will hopefully next season as I have a 9 for priority level now.

Thanks for the reply, MightyPeace! Congratulations on the moose and cow elk tags!

I have found a brand new Savage 116 FHSS in .300 Win Mag for less than $500. Great price for an excellent gun and cartridge that is unfired. Add $400 for a new barrel and $400-$500 for a scope and I should have an awesome brand new .338-06 AI for about $1300.

OR.....

I just buy the new .300 Win Mag and shoot it as is! :grin: That is the dilemma!

You would be better off with a standard long action, as you will have to change the bolt face to a standard .473 face to work with the 06 case head...or just change the bolt face and you would be set for magnum and standard .473 caliber barrels down the road. Switching barrels on those Savages is cake and you can headspace them yourself.

I would say sell the 308 and maybe the 30-06, keep the 300WM as is and still do a 338-06 rifle :grin: on the 30-06 rifle

I love my Sako m75ss 300WM with 180gr Accubonds. Thought it would be my only big game rifle I bought in 1998-WRONG... my Tikka T3 LS 270WSM's shoot pretty awesome too. Very impressed with performance with 140gr Accubonds on elk, moose, bear, deer.

I just wanted a 338-06 to for something different to tinker with and with JD338 and my gunsmith's suggestions, went with the A.I. version.

Mighty Peace":30mcqvdq said:
I would say sell the 308 and maybe the 30-06, keep the 300WM as is and still do a 338-06 rifle :grin: on the 30-06 rifle

I love my Sako m75ss 300WM with 180gr Accubonds. Thought it would be my only big game rifle I bought in 1998-WRONG... my Tikka T3 LS 270WSM's shoot pretty awesome too. Very impressed with performance with 140gr Accubonds on elk, moose, bear, deer.

I just wanted a 338-06 to for something different to tinker with and with JD338 and my gunsmith's suggestions, went with the A.I. version.

I am fixing to do a load study on the 240gr Woodleigh bullet that was developed for the 30-06 like I did with the Kimber 30-06 I had. I will be using the Mark V 30-06 that I just finished doing load work for and with H4831sc be able to reach and possibly exceed 2500fps with the 240gr bullet in an 06. Got almost there in my Kimber 06 so I know I will be able to do better with the Mark V because my Mark V records faster velocities across the board than did my Kimber 8400 Montana. A 240gr bullet if accuracy is accomplished moving at 2500fps is in my opinion better than any 338-06 and I have owned, loaded and hunted with a 338-06. Now this is only my opinion if I can get the 2450-2500fps or better, but it is an experienced opinion which is like elbows, everybody has a few (except a one armed man). :):)

Mighty Peace, if you could post some pictures of the work that RMR or Corlane's have done for you it would be great. We don't have enough goos smiths in this country. I'm from bonnyville so getting my rifle there could be a chore, but I've heard good things of them. There is a way to ship into the US if the rifle is registered to you in Canada, but it sounded pretty complex.

CC.

Back