Washington Mountain Lion Hunt

Guy Miner":1wp8efeg said:
Got a call from a handgun student of mine. She started shooting 3 months ago or so. Three lessons so far.

She was out at the barn, taking care of her horses, came out of the barn...

Mountain lion in the tree! She perceived it as stalking her horses, goats, etc (I can't remember what all she's got around the place), pulled her 9mm and shot it!

It fell from the tree, and tried to get away. She ran through the snow after the injured cat and popped it twice in the head with her 9mm to finish it! Brave woman. She's all of about 5' tall.

Local sheriff and WDFW were notified, and are fine with her kill. :)

Now, I am STILL seeking a danged cat!

Guy
If the cat was in a tree was probable not stalking her horses unless she spooked it up the tree when she was coming out of the building. Did she tell you any thing about age, size or sex of the cat.

It's not very big, I think she said around 50 pounds. She, and WDFW folks think mama cat was somewhere nearby.

She has horses & goats, hard to say if the cat (cats?) were after them or after the mule deer which also winter in the same general area. I surely don't blame her for popping a mountain lion on her property though. We've had a fair bit of trouble with mountain lions taking livestock in recent years. Young fellow a few miles from here took a big ol' cat last year that had taken several goats, and I think some chickens too.

Wish I could provide more details on her cat & shooting, all my info is based on a short phone conversation with her, and later with our local WDFW officer.

Guy

Guy Miner":3pqgq7lr said:
It's not very big, I think she said around 50 pounds. She, and WDFW folks think mama cat was somewhere nearby.

She has horses & goats, hard to say if the cat (cats?) were after them or after the mule deer which also winter in the same general area. I surely don't blame her for popping a mountain lion on her property though. We've had a fair bit of trouble with mountain lions taking livestock in recent years. Young fellow a few miles from here took a big ol' cat last year that had taken several goats, and I think some chickens too.

Wish I could provide more details on her cat & shooting, all my info is based on a short phone conversation with her, and later with our local WDFW officer.

Guy
Ya if 50 lbs and wasnt starving then momma would definitely be around and most likely came back looking for the kitten that night unless the kitten was orphaned. Cats seem to like domestic goats.

Back