weatherby vanguard

badland

Beginner
Dec 9, 2005
Weatherby has come out with a basic level Vanguard (at least this is the first year I have seen it) which sells for $400, does any one have any info on this gun? My son's birthday is coming up at the end of the month and am looking at buying a varmint gun (probally a 22-250) for him. I want to stick arounf the $4-500 range for the rifle itself. Also looking at Tikka's, would I be better off going with it? Thanks

Vanguards are made in Japan by Howa. Weatherby guarantee the accuracy of their rifle. Tikka on the other hand is the economy version of the Sako. You can't go wrong with either one but for the caliber of choice, I'll go with the Vanguard. Tikka has only one size fits all action whereas the Vanguard has shorter action suited for the 22-250. Don't overlook the Savage also, one of the most accurate rifle out of the box. Goodluck :wink:

Not sure about the caliber you want being available, but check out the Vanguard compact. If it comes in your chosen caliber, it is a great setup, in that it comes with a pair of stocks. Both are basic black, but one is full size, and the other is a 12.5" LOP "youth" size stock. The Vanguard has actually been out since about 1970, but not really popular until WalMart got them in front of everyone, and then people began to realize the accuracy potential, like with a Savage. Of course, for the money, the Savage can be had in a variety of configurations (and all with the terrific accutrigger) within your price range, and will likely be one of the most accurate rifles you son ever owns. Are you looking at the synthetic stocked Vanguard or one of the satin walnut versions? If you like a good wood stock, for about $500-550, you can get the wood stocked version, a truly fine specimen in a large variety of calibers. Check the Weatherby website for more information on what is available in the Vanguard.

I have a Vanguard in 300 Win Mag that is a tack driver ....sub 1" with plain factory ammo. (I haven't had a chance to work up a load for it yet). I have a friend who bought a 243 in the Vanguard and he loves it.

Another choice you may want to seriously consider in your price range is the Stevens model 200. It can be had for less than $300 in most areas and is available in most of the popular calibers. I have one in 308 & 30-06. The 308 has shot the best group (100 yds) I have ever shot in my life. The best 4 from a 5 shot group (I had one flyer) measured .092" center to center. The only thing I've done to the rifle is glass bed the action and add an SSS competition trigger. The Stevens' I have shot and seen shot can be put up against all but the most expensive custom builds and they will hold there own. Just something else to consider.

Blaine

I have a vanguard in 243. my boys argue over the gun all the time.
they are 15 and 17 years old and consistantly hit clays and pop cans @ 300yds

I have the Howaby in 300 Weatherby Magnumb. I saw it at 3:30am at the local Wally World after a long stretch of 12 hour shifts. It was on clearance at $299.

Burned out from way too many long hours and low pay, I figured:
The gods must be crazy
I was hallucinating because of sleep depravation and too many Rockstars.
I was going to wake up any minute to my real world of greasy Mausers and Enfields.

At any rate, I was at Wally World the next day, early, and bought it. It was the best $300 gun I ever bought. Fit and finish is excellent, far better than the Remchesters in the same price range.
Gun is a real shooter. Shoots whatever I load for it to point of aim. Added a B&C Medalist stock and Nikon Buckmaster 4.5x14x40 SF scope. The Medalist stock really cuts down on the recoil. The Buckmaster is a pretty good scope that has enough eye relief to keep the gun from tattoing my eye.

Best low budget gun I have bought to date.

ZM

Back