Weaver scopes...

Ridgerunner665

Handloader
Oct 28, 2008
...specifically the Buck Commander 4-16x42mm model.

A buddy of mine is looking for a scope with the following features...4-16x variable, over 40mm objective...but not a 50mm, and a BDC reticle.

The scope is for a 7mmWSM (older M70 Ultimate Shadow)...the rifle WILL see 400 yard shots, 300 yards being the usual though.

This guy is on a strict budget (disabled)...$300 is his spending limit.

He asked me to help him look for a scope and I have been...I keep coming back the scope mentioned above (within the price range)

Opinions?
Experiences?
Other good scopes in the price range?

I'm actually buying a scope for him and letting him pay me back...he set the $300 limit, I was gonna get him a Viper HS like mine but he said he didn't want that much into a scope...I'm doing this because I know him, instead of waiting and saving more $$$ he'll get whatever he can afford with the features he wants...and scopes with those features within his current budget (less than $200) are...well, not so great.

4-16x is non-negotiable...he is dead set on that...done tried to sell him on a few 4-12x's and a Nikon 4.5-14x Buckmasters.

The Weaver... http://www.midwayusa.com/product/119871 ... icle-matte

I have a 6-18 Buckmasters on a 22-250 and that's a nice scope for the price. Maybe a Minox 2-10 3-15 I picked up a 2-10 for $300 on Cameraland. It's awesome for the money.

nvbroncrider":3c9md0r2 said:
I have a 6-18 Buckmasters on a 22-250 and that's a nice scope for the price. Maybe a Minox 2-10 3-15 I picked up a 2-10 for $300 on Cameraland. It's awesome for the money.

The buckmaster is a nikon not a weaver no?

nvbroncrider":ntvnel6c said:
Yes it is a Nikon. But for the price they are a pretty good scope.

I don't doubt that (my son has a Buckmasters 4.5-14x on his 30-06)...but my buddy wants 4-16x.

6x isn't quite low enough, I agree with my buddy on that...but, myself, I'd take 12-14x as a max if that was all I could afford in a good scope...but he won't do that, LOL.

There aren't many 4-16x scopes out there at any price...and once you weed out the "lesser" scopes, the options are downright slim.

I would look at the vortex. viper hs. model I think they are around 400-450 but if your at three already another 100-150 would be worth spending and will meet all of his requirements sans the money aspect. I am not a huge vortex fan but the buddy I coyote hunt with really likes his. Is your buddy a disabled vet?

I agree usmc89...but he don't wanna spend that much...I ordered him the Weaver last night per his request, I hope its a good scope...I'll never hear the end of it if its not, LOL...I talked him into it.

He woulda bought something inexpensive that may have worked for a while, then he'd have to buy another one to replace it...I guess I'm trying to get him to "buy once, cry once"...its like hunting boots (we debated this a while back too)...you can buy a decent pair of hunting boots for $70, in my experience they're good for about 1 year....or you can buy a $210 pair that will generally last 3 years...the cost is the same in the end, but the more expensive boots are warmer, drier, more comfy, etc.

I'm not a scope snob (or any other sort of snob)...but the old saying that you get what you pay for has never been more true than it is these days.

Stuff isn't built to last anymore...its built well enough for you to enjoy it until it breaks...then you have to buy another one. Ah well...enough of my ranting.

No...he's not a vet...he got banged up pretty good in a car wreck a few years back. Messed his right knee up, his right shoulder, and his neck...he's having knee surgery (again) next week...he'll probably be hunting from the truck this year...and I'll be dragging his deer, but thats OK...I owe him a few (from before he got hurt)...he's a big guy...6'5" 260 lbs., strong as an ox, he always drug my deer (20 years worth)...we've been best friends since high school.

The Weaver scope arrived at my house today and my wife checked it out...she says its good to go...not quite the clarity of my Vortex, but appears to her eyes to be as good as the Nikon Buckmasters 4.5-14x40mm on my sons 30-06...which makes sense, they are similarly priced. She likes the Command-X reticle...its kinda thin like the Vortex reticle, but not that thin.

Greg (my buddy) is gonna use my stuff to mount it tomorrow (gun vise, reticle levels, torque wrench)...I think Greg is gonna like it.

Ridge, that is great to hear looking forward to the range/product review with photos of course :wink:

Blessings,
Dan

RR if you haven't already, please post you're comments on the Vodtex HS. I'm thinking that's my next scope.

Thanks

Mile

I have a Nikon 6x20x44mm 1" Monarch UCC I will sell...PM ME

My buddy got his scope today...he says its perfect for the purpose he needs it for...said the glass is great.

The guy I hunt coyote with has an hs its the same as the vortex PST. sans the options. the click value is 1/2 moa per click. he seems to like it and looks to be a pretty good scope at that price point.

His is the "LR" version, with the 1/2 moa clicks and the exposed turret...I almost got that one but decided I didn't want the exposed turret on my deer/elk/whatever rifle.

Mine has the capped turrets and 1/4 moa clicks...

Yes, the HS scopes are PST's that have been spec'd for hunters...I think Vortex sorta shot their self in the foot when they decided to call them "Vipers"...too many people don't do their research and think the HS scopes are just that, regular Vortex Vipers...the regular Vipers are good scopes, but the HS scopes are a whole nuther ballgame...different inside and out.

I put a Weaver Kaspa 4-16 w/side focus on my Weatherby Predator 22-250. It's not fancy, but I like it.

Hope your friend has great success with his new scope.

Here is his Weaver...

photobucket-15706-1351363955774.jpg

Back