Weaver Super Slam

boomer68

Handloader
Oct 23, 2006
Has anyone ever tried one. And if so, what is your opinion?
Just picked up a 3-15x42 with the EBX reticle.

boomer68, I used a Weaver Grand Slam for a number of years on a BLR in a 308 win and it never gave me a bit of trouble now that is one heck of a longtime ago maybe 40 years :mrgreen:.

Blessings,
Dan

The only Weaver I ever owned let me down the first time I hunted with it, fogged up and got moisture inside.
Then they went bankrupted and had know place to send it for warranty repair. I still have it but it's on a shot gun and it was bought back in the 80's. Still have a bad taste in my mouth for Weaver.

Me too. I killed one pretty quickly on a Remington 572 RF. I think the slide slamming forward stressed it in a way it was not designed for. But a cheapo Bushnell has survived a lot longer.

It was a scope from their RF line at the time, not a Super Slam...

I have the Nitrex version, the TRII. I could be wrong but I 've been told they are the Weaver Super Slam in a Nitrex box. Mine is the - 3x15x50 with EBX. I've had this scope on a few guns over the last 7 years. A Sako 85 in a 338 Fed, Howa 22-250, Rem 700 300WSM and it's on a Savage 17HMR Heavy barrel now.
Opinion = Nice scope - Clear, I like the reticle. the side focus is a must for me. I used the turrets on the 22-250 a lot. It went back to zero with no problems if memory serves. I got it as a gift from a buddy who sold a horse to some one in the ammo/optics industry.

Now - would I go buy this scope off the street? Probably not. I've been a Leupold guy forever and the lens on VX3 just seem familiar and comfortable. I have a few Vortex Vipers is various forms and I like those also due to features for the $$.

The fact that I'm still using the Nitrex TRII says something right there. If I wasn't happy with it - it's gone.

Weaver was always known for their tough erectors and repeatable turrets back when turrets weren't so good on the middle of the road and below glass. The Super Slam that I played with seemed to be bright and sharp. Definitely an improvement on the Grand Slams I remember which weren't bad in their heyday(1980's). It compared favorably with the Sightron Big Sky II, Bushnell Elite 4200 and Vari-X III that were at the range that day. We didnt do anything scientific as far as resolution against a chart or compare them after sunset but target resolution, ease of obtaining eyebox, and brightness was on par with these other decent scopes.

Those that use the higher end Weaver's seem to really like them which is a good testimony to the scopes. I had a Grand Slam 1.5-5x32 which I liked other than the fact that the edges of the scope were a bit out of focus compared to center. Ended up putting that scope on a 325 WSM that I traded off since I wanted a bit more magnification. The Super Slam should definitely be quite a bit better than the Grand Slam although the new 2-8x36 version of that scope looks to be an excellent scope for someone who wants something compact.

Back