Weird question...maybe

Bluejay

Beginner
Apr 6, 2006
Hello every1,
I am pretty sure a while ago I read (on a hunting magazine) of this guy with a 30-06 shooting ducks @ 30 yds.

He said he reloaded (I do not recall in details) his brass with shots and using his rifle almost like a shotgun.... :?

Could it be possible ? :shock:

Does any of you guys have direct experience on this ?

It sounds quite strange to me....but...... :wink:

Thanks 8)

I suppose it could be possible. I have loaded since 1953 but I have never loaded shot in a rifle cartridge.

If it were the only gun he had and the backstop was questionable.

You can buy snake shot for 22, 38 and 44 guess you could make your own for use in a 30/06 but I would rather use a shotgun for ducks.Rick.

Mike Venturino did a piece on this a while back. Might want to google it.

Might work OK with a straight walled case such as a 45/70 but I don`t think a bottleneck case like the 30-06 would take well to a shot load.

I loaded birdshot (#9 or #12) in a 357mag and 45LC years ago with my dad, and it wasn`t worth the trouble as remember. They blew their pattern after 10 ft or so and were not consistant enough for any type of hunting we did. They would however make very good snake loads at any distance you would consider a snake dangerous

Thompson sells the Contender in .45 cal and you can shoot 410 gauge out of the same barrel. That being said, no loose shot is going thru any of my rifle barrels.

Long

As long as its STEEL shot, unless there is a minimum "Guage" (thats shotgun for caliber 8) ) I guess it would be legal. what guage is a 30-06 ?
And i dont think I would like loose steel shot going down my barrel either :shock:

Back