West Texas mule deer

c. schutte

Handloader
Jan 24, 2012
Just returned last Thursday from a hunt with my brother "Myles" in Van Horn. We were after mulies and had a great time. Like the vast majority of the state, we hunted private land for 4 days. Just the two of us and a guide.

The ranch is very flat and had a few low draws. I've spent a lot of time in far West Texas and was surprised on how much vegetation the Van Horn area has. It's settled in a bowl with mountains on all side so over time what little soil from the mountains has settled on the plain below. There is also a water table 300 feet below the surface. All that contributes to a soft surface and mesquite/thorny stuff so thick parts of it were like 8' tall shag carpeting. I spent a lot of time walking those low areas but the truth is trying to navigate through that thick stuff does not lend itself to quiet.

The high and low is we did not come home with anything but a good time. The wind was not our friend on this hunt, blowing 25-40 for most of hunt. We did see some young bucks and plenty of doe. One young forked buck did pass within bow range of me but, he got a hall pass.

This is a working cattle ranch and had one alfalfa field which we hunted. My brother has not hunted mulies before so I put him on the field most of the time. The one afternoon the wind died a mature shooter appeared. Unfortunately there was an existing irrigation pipe running the length of the field. This pipe is about 6" in diameter and running 4' off the ground. Myles and the buck were on opposite sides of the pipe and the buck was just far enough away to be blocked by it. That was our one opportunity.

We did see the buck again, at 4:50 AM on the morning we were driving out! :>)

You win some and lose some.

Glad you got to spend some time with your brother Charles, but sorry nothing presented itself to you or your brother that allowed you to fill the freezer. On a separate note I am curious about why the irrigation system was still up in December

Here is a picture of that buck after dark. You can see the irrigation pipe.

IMG_1514.jpg

Its always good to get to hunt with family and friends.

Watched a 6x6 elk one morning, over the fence, never got the shot and did not see him again. Yup, it happens,

Jim

Europe":70h2dnz7 said:
Glad you got to spend some time with your brother Charles, but sorry nothing presented itself to you or your brother that allowed you to fill the freezer. On a separate note I am curious about why the irrigation system was still up in December

Alfalfa is a cool season plant for the cattle. And I suspect that it is still watered when needed through the Fall. Van Horn is in the desert so without irrigation it won't make it.

Charles,

That had to have been a good time. I hunted that area one time. There are some big mulies down there. Too bad you didn't see that many; but it is great that you were able to have that time as brothers. Consequently, did that big buck laugh as you drove out?

Probably!...........

Those old desert bucks don't usually show themselves before dark. And for good reason! :>)

Ya, Ranchers are fond of their non-perforated water pipes...

Glad you guys got out there - and yes, that's a good looking buck. Next time perhaps!

Guy

Heck yeah that sounds like a great time!

Also sorry you didn't get anything; that's a darned nice buck! Maybe he'll be there next time?

Not sure about next time. That was an expensive hunt and super hard to see anything. If I go after desert mulies it will be in canyon country. It would be a little easier to see them when pushing them from the canyons.

However, if too easy then it would not be special when you do get one.

Back