What 30 cal bullet

I've tried all brands of bullets...and if I had to choose a brand besides Nosler...it would be Swift....

Swift is good stuff, I just don't much like pure copper jackets these days.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Why the non-Nosler post? To get a really good conversation about other bullets. I have heard many great stories about the B-Tip, AccuBond and Partition to know they work. I am just trying to see what else is out there.
I use the 180 AccuBond in my Ruger so I want to try something different in this rifle. I might give the 165 B-Tip a try or the Hornady Interlock. I am a little leery about the B-tip after having some issues with the SST in my Ruger. I think the B-tip is a stronger bullet than the SST so I may see if I can get some to try.

I have had really good luck for killing power and accuracy over the years with various Speer 165 gr bullets in the .30-06 loaded to about 2850 fps.

For many years the only bullet I used in my 30-06 was the 150 gr. Sierra spitzer flat base bullet. They didn't call them Pro-Hunters back then. They killed deer just fine but oh the meat damage, especially if a shoulder was hit. Around 1970 I gave the 165gr. Sierra Game King hollow point a try. Very accurate in the 30-06 I had at the time so decided to use it on a Mule Deer hunt. We were huntig on the Argenta Rim just out of Battle Mountain Nevada and wee heading to another spot to look for deer when I spotted somethng moving. We stopped and I got out and it was a coyote about 200 yards out. Deer hunting had been, to put it as nicely as I can, totally crappy. This was in the mid 70's when Mule Deer seemed to have been swallowed up into the ground. I took the shot and walked over to see the results of the shot. When I got to it, I found a two piece coyote. That was one year we didn't get our tags filled out. After looking at the remains of that coyote, I decided to not use that bullet for deer and used the rest for target practice. Ended up going with the Sierra Pro-Hunters for just about all my 30-06 use.
Paul B.

I am a traditionalist as many here know. My philosophy regarding most things that work is to leave them alone, period. I do shoot a variety of bullets, but for hunting only 1. The Nosler Partition, I am working hard to develop a long range hunting load using the LRAB, but if that does not work I will revert back to the PT. For general shooting, I have found the Custom Comp, to be extremely accurate, and with careful shopping find them to be very reasonable price wise. Shooters Pro Shop is on my list of "favorites", and I keep close track on their website. I can frequently buy Partitions from them, cheaper than a standard cup and core bullet elsewhere. Just my .02.

Elkman":6h53e9oo said:
I am a traditionalist as many here know. My philosophy regarding most things that work is to leave them alone, period. I do shoot a variety of bullets, but for hunting only 1. The Nosler Partition, I am working hard to develop a long range hunting load using the LRAB, but if that does not work I will revert back to the PT. For general shooting, I have found the Custom Comp, to be extremely accurate, and with careful shopping find them to be very reasonable price wise. Shooters Pro Shop is on my list of "favorites", and I keep close track on their website. I can frequently buy Partitions from them, cheaper than a standard cup and core bullet elsewhere. Just my .02.

Yep, that's why I use PT's as well....great performance and via SPS, they are cheap as anything else.

For years before I discovered the Nosler Ballistic Tips I used 150gr. & 165gr. Speer Spitzer Boat Tails in several different .30-06's with excellent results.

However since I discovered Nosler Ballistic Tips I have used nothing else. I have used both 150gr. & 165gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips in both .308's and .30-06's with excellent results on Whitetail Deer.

Currently I am going to be stepping out of the box and trying 115gr. Berger Match VLD Hunting Bullets in my .25-06 for Deer and Coyotes.

Larry

Yeah, I've used other bullets, but keep coming back to Noslers. Started using them about 40 years ago...

Ridgerunner665":16o1s55c said:
I've tried all brands of bullets...and if I had to choose a brand besides Nosler...it would be Swift....

Swift is good stuff, I just don't much like pure copper jackets these days.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

I believe I would say the same thing. Very good results with the few Swifts I have tried. Running the 120 A-Frame in a 25-06 and a 150 Scirocco in a 7mm Rem Mag. Both are pretty awesome bullets.

Woodleigh makes some nice bullets as well. Haven't used any yet, but the reporting seems like they are real good.

For plain old bullets, I really like Speer's and Hornady's. Both have been real good to me and don't make the wallet cry uncle.

But as Bill and all you others mentioned, chances are I am running a Nosler if you see me in the woods after elk or deer.. I like to experiment too WT, so I get exactly what your saying.

Maybe I need to give the 165 B-tip a try. That way all my hunting rounds would have Nosler bullets.

That particular bullet, the 165 gr .30 cal Ballistic Tip, is my all-time favorite .30 cal deer hunting bullet.

As accurate as a match bullet, it expands fast yet hangs onto enough mass to punch right on through. I really can't ask for anything more for a general purpose .30 cal hunting bullet.

Link to my bullet test on it: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=18211

Regards, Guy

wisconsinteacher":a0wvvccj said:
I will keep my eyes on the 2nds site and hope they put some 165 Btips up soon.

I believe they have some 168's available now....same bullet, slightly different ogive, slightly higher BC...most importantly....same performance as above.

I am like Bill? No, I really am not like Bill but we both have good taste in bullets. I guess that Bill and I are both old and are similar in that respect? Partitions all the way (since 1963).

I shoot the 168gr BY in my -06. Performance on three deer over the past three seasons has been excellent. Shots have included clean runs through the ribs, a neck shot from prone, and a shot accidentally through the spine when the deer moved right as the trigger broke. On the spine shot, damage was severe, but would have been so with just about any bullet, I suspect. The other shots were perfect outcomes with exit wounds about silver-dollar sized. Try them over H4350 and work up to the Hodgdon or Nosler published load.

Well SPS has 165 Partitions and B-tips right now. What one to get??? (don't say both) I will be shooting them from a Sauer 30-06.

Depends on what and how you intend to hunt with it. White-tails and similar game in open spaces where shots might extend to 300+? I'd go with the BT. Wooded hunting areas, game bigger than white-tails, or all shots under 300yds, the Partition will do the job and have less meat damage, though not much in my experience, especially at -06 velocities.

Ultimately, if you're hunting deer only, and shots are under 300yds, either will do fine. Longer shots? BT. Bigger game? Partition.

Fair enough?

I've really tended to try to make life simple as I get a little (hopefully) wiser as I get a little older. Partitions are pretty much where I go right off, unless there's a reason not to. My 35 Whelen is an example...358 PT's weren't easy to find. I got HotCors and then found a supply of PT's at SPS. I bought the PT's anyway, lol.

I use AB's in my 264WM, just 'cuz, but everything else...PT all the way.

I would use the rifle for deer out to 300 max. Most shots 150 for the most part.

I think a good combo would be a 180 AB in one 30-06 and a 165 Partition in the other. If I ever get a 7mm or 270, then I will go with the B-tips.

Back