What 30 cal bullet

I am with the others WT, 165 grain PT's and call it. I do like BT's for deer, but for the ranges your using them and the chance of closer shots, you'll never be disappointed in the PT.

BTW, that 30-06 sounds beautiful. Sauer makes a great rifle. Bet it is going to be a great shooter too.

The 168 gr BT would be an excellent all around bullet.

JD338

Well I hope the Partition works, I just ordered a few packs. Funny, this started out as a post about other bullets and I end up ordering Nolsers.

Not a thing wrong with the Partitions. I've got a few hundred Nosler 165's, split between Partitions and Ballistic Tips. Both are excellent bullets.

Link to .30 cal, 165 gr Partition test: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=16604

Same mv & distance to target as the 165 BT's, and same penetration too. Very similar performance. My son used the 165 Partition this past season on his bear!

Regards, Guy

There is a bullet other than Nosler?
Just kidding! If I couldn't use Nosler I'd opt for a Hornady. Nosler and Hornady seem to be the easiest to find so that's what I go with. Right now I'm trying to work up a load for my .338 using the Hornady Interlock. I've usually had pretty good luck with getting the Hornady bullets to shoot fairly well in the few rifles I've tried them in. Of course each rifle barrel is a creature unto itself.
I like that the Hornady bullets come in 100 round boxes and once I get a Hornady to shoot well I can pretty easily transition to the appropriate/similar Nosler in the case of flat based bullets. I'm thinking Partition here of course.

Vince

I'd be just fine with PTs for everything. Pretty danged good bullet and you cannot beat the price of 2nds.

WT,

The 165 gr PT is an excellent choice for most anything you will hunt in NA with a 30-06.
It will work very well on deer.

JD338

Quote "If I ever get a 7mm or 270"

Why on earth would you ever want a 270???? The 06 is a 270 on steroids. Have a great day all.

The 270 I am looking at was my father in laws. I plan on buying it from my mother in law. He also had a 243 and 7mm that I would like to buy from her.

I have hunted for over 40 years. I started using PT in my 7mmRM. I have continued to use them as my go to bullet in my 308. Simply put...it works. I am building a custom 308 that I will have to work up a load for. I only looked at Nosler. BT, E-tip, Silver Tip, and PT. It should prove to be an interesting summer at the range.

I've run 165 gr Sierra Gsmekings, Hornady Interlocks and both shot great out of my 300 WSM. Speer would be well worth looming into also. I'm working with a 168 gr Barnes TTSX thats showing great promise too.

Lots of good bullets already been recommended , when it comes to 06 velocity I like 165-168 cupncore or bonded bullets , but like to drop down in weight for Monos. A 150 grGmx or ttsx can be driven at the velocity needed for a mono to open up properly over a greater diversity of ranges. Just something to consider.

FOTIS":34dnej3f said:
165 Hornady Interlock------ ALL THE WAY

Yep. I love me some Interlocks!

On the other hand I've settled upon the 168 NBT in my 06. Enough for anything I figure, and great BC to boot.

I have been using the Partition 165 gr bullets in my .30-06 for 50 years now and they, plus the BT's have never failed me on game with the new designs.

JD338":20oiggix said:
Elkman":20oiggix said:
What non-Nosler 165 gr bullet would you use in a 30-06? I know the B-tip, Partition, and AccuBond are great but I am thinking about trying something different in my future '06.

Why ???????

Good question Bill.

WT,
Are you hunting deer? What else?

JD338

Yah, I'm a little confused. If you want to kill paper then use a non-Nosler, but if it is game you want to drop is there any other that does as good a job as a Nosler?

Never had issue on game, especially deer, with any of the bullets I've flung from my 06 at deer.

They're not hard to kill and while the feeling of insurance is understandable with larger game premiums are unnecessary on them IMHO.

G'Day Fella's,

Wisconsin, I'm a bit biased towards products from my country Australia, so how about trying some www.woodleighbullets.com.au 165grn Protected Point (PP) Weld Core bullets?
Sorry about that Mr Nosler's, I do use your fine products where ever I can but I'm also a very loyal Woodleigh Bullets seller and user!

Best regards
Homer

HomerOz":1m50oi1b said:
I'm also a very loyal Woodleigh Bullets seller and user!

Best regards
Homer

As well you should be. They are a fine bullet, to be sure.

Back