What are you using this year?

Man I am going to have to buy another freezer, 30-30 125 bt for at least one deer, 243 win with 80 ttsx for at least 2 more, 257 bee with 100 ttsx for at least two more, should get my cow elk draw so add that in for the bee. Should have moose tag between the girls so I might throw in the 30-06 in with reduced loads with 165 accubonds or 150 ttsx in for that. Second oldest daughter wants a bear so I might have her use the old 303 Brit whitch I had the iron sites removed, recrowned and scope mounted, probable use 123grn tsx. If only I can get some brass for my 7.62*39 sks I will take one doe with that for fun with either a 123 tsx or 125 bt. 8)

Michigan Deer-
T/C Omega SS/Syn .45
Browning BLR SS/Mossy Oak .308
Winchester 70 SS/Syn .375hh
Hopefully not my truck...

Indiana Dove
Beretta 28 ga O/U
Beretta 12 ga 390 synthetic

NDak Muley (If Drawn)
Browning BLR .308

Don't know if I drew anything, but in a perfect world:

Elk:
1. M70 .300 WinMag
2. Howa 1500 7WSM
3. M70 EW .300WSM
4. M700Classic .35 Whelen (if it's not raining)
Deer:
1. M700 .257 Weatherby
2. M700 .25-06
3. M77 Hawkeye 6.5 Creedmoor
Antelope: see #1 & 2 for deer
antlerless deer (does anyplace but the People's Republik of Oregon)
1. 788 6mm
2. M700 .220 Swift
Mountain Goat, Bighorn Sheep:
Should I draw one, I'd pick up a Kimber Montana or Remington Mountain Rifle in .280 or '06, or maybe use my .257 Weatherby.
Two big ifs: IF I draw a doe tag, and IF I buy a .375 H&H/.375 Ruger/.416 Remington, they are going on the hunt with me!

Just whitetails for me

Marlin 1895G 45/70 - 350 Hornady FP @ 1912fps
Marlin 336 .35 Remington - 200gr RN @ 2000fps
Ruger Hawkeye .358 Winchester - Hornady 200gr PSP @ 2500fps
Remington 700Ti 30/06 - 165 NBT or NAB @ 2731fps
Ruger 77 MKII 30/06 - 180NBT @ 2737fps

My nephew's 1st deer season is this year

Stevens 200 .223 - Barnes TSX 53gr

brianwyo":1yl2ljfb said:
FOTIS":1yl2ljfb said:
Bri'

Put in for same area again? Where is the second tag in?

Same area for the 1st tag. Up north for the cow/calf. I really like that late season elk hunts around the holidays. My better half says I get kind of grouchy around X-MAS.
License results should be out soon!

any left overs for 2nd elk?

I drew two tags in oregon. 177 fortrock buck. This is a lodgepole mixed ponderosa forest hunt with fir in the higher areas. Right now i'm planning on using the 308win mod700 with leupold 2.5x8. Shooting 150gr nosler ballistic tips or accubonds. Backup will be something light, 243 youth mod7 probably. For elk i drew high desert any elk. 278A. This is a high desert open juniper/sage hunt, I'll be packing my 20" vangard 300win mag shooting 180gr nosler Etips. scope is a simmons ATEC 2.5x10x44 in a carbilite stock. Backup is the 26"pacnor barreled 7mm rem mag, shooting 175gr sierra spbt. Maybe this year i'll get inside my shooting comfort zone on a big bull. On this hunt in the past i have passed on 2 nice bulls 535yds, 540-615yds, Dang rangefinder kept jumping around. Then the bull i missed in the juniper by killing a big juniper limb at 60yds. FYI a 180gr Etip will penetrate a 16" juniper limb. My wife is tired of tag soup, so i might shoot a cow this year after the first 10days of big bull hunting.

3475 FPS.

Wow. Do you have a 30" barrel or what? The most I could muster safely from my 7mm rums was about 3350 fps

Yes, that is with a 30" barrel!!

Just like you, I was getting 3350-3375 out of my 26" barrel before the upgrade.

I've only drawn a mule deer tag in New Mexico and for that I will tote my favorite Model 70 in 7mm Rem Mag stoked with 160 gr accubonds. For local whitetails I'm gonna try to chase off some of the bad juju from my Rem 700 .25-06 acquired missing a muley last year.

BK":cd7gzrrw said:
antlerless deer (does anyplace but the People's Republik of Oregon)

I know what you mean BK, I now have 7 preference points for antlerless and now 6 for elk here in Oregon. Its getting easier to draw an antelope tag it seems. I plan to write "Her Direktor" soon as I'm rather angry with the way things have been going here. Why even give preference points if they don't give you any preference on getting tags. Guess I'm going to go spike hunting for elk yet again.

Its getting pretty stupid here in the People's Republik of Oregon...

Its getting pretty stupid here in the People's Republik of Oregon...

Look one state to your south. Unless you start voting out the dummycrats, that's what you can look forward to. If it keeps up too long, I guess we can look forward to Nosler moving out here to Colorado!

Amen Antelope_Sniper...and thus I vote to do each year.

Unfortunately the Portlandites consider "me and my kind" as neanderthols that need to be ran out of town so they can establish a more perfect (gun-free, animal preserve) union.

Ignorant. :x

How can you educate people who aren't teachable? :evil:

They think they have it all figured out. :roll:

I'm thinking Colorado looks pretty good myself. :lol:

Antelope_Sniper":3uhhgh5k said:
3475 FPS.

Wow. Do you have a 30" barrel or what? The most I could muster safely from my 7mm rums was about 3350 fps

Yes, that is with a 30" barrel!!

Just like you, I was getting 3350-3375 out of my 26" barrel before the upgrade.

How unwieldy is that buddy?

Only thing I ever hunted with that had that long a barrel also had a full choke.

If not too bad I might consider a custom with a 30" tube

a semi coustom 1943 mosin nagat 7.62x54r shooting 180gr sierra game kings. i have been getting 1.5" groups with this rifle and load at 100 yds.

Just found out I drew buck deer and bull elk. Forgot to check if it's a spike only or if it's a coveted "any bull" unit.

FOTIS":1xzl2f56 said:
brianwyo":1xzl2f56 said:
FOTIS":1xzl2f56 said:
Bri'

Put in for same area again? Where is the second tag in?

Same area for the 1st tag. Up north for the cow/calf. I really like that late season elk hunts around the holidays. My better half says I get kind of grouchy around X-MAS.
License results should be out soon!

any left overs for 2nd elk?

Last year there was some cow/calf license leftover. My experiance with leftover tags is you have to move REAL FAST when they go up for sale. 10 minutes is too late. I really like those cow/calf extra license. I always hunt for a bull on the 1st license. My elk season runs from Oct to the end of January. Reading this thread it amazes me what it takes just to get a license in some states. I am almost embarrassed with the tags and hunting i get in every year.

ant-257bee
whitetail and mule deers i like my 270 wsm, with 130gr b-tip re-19 with 64gr's great for open the open country,
Blackbear - 308win with 150gr b-tip (varget 48.2gr)
Grizzly- 375 h&H mag (300 gr with 80 gr of re-19)
Elk and moose 300 win (180 e-tip with 73.5 gr of re-22)
These are what i use up here in alberta minus the grizz of course i have to travell for that one.
My understanding of you, anything you choose will be the right choice you definetly have a great deal of knowledge and wisdom.

Shoot straight/Shoot often.

brianwyo":2i17x74w said:
Last year there was some cow/calf license leftover. My experiance with leftover tags is you have to move REAL FAST when they go up for sale. 10 minutes is too late. I really like those cow/calf extra license. I always hunt for a bull on the 1st license. My elk season runs from Oct to the end of January. Reading this thread it amazes me what it takes just to get a license in some states. I am almost embarrassed with the tags and hunting i get in every year.

Cool I will get one too if I can/.

Well for deer I'm going to pack my 6mmbr with 105 berger hunting vlds until I get tired of packing it then I'll use my 7mm RM with 150 bts.

Elk my 7mm RM.

Back