What are your favourite underrated cartridges?

5mm Remington Rimfire Magnum ahead of its time.
6mm Remington just a little better than a .243 Win which is saying a lot.
.257 Roberts way under rated
.260 Remington
.280 Remington if I needed a new Rifle for the Lower 48 States for everything.
300 Savage
8mm Remington Mag.

7mm-08
7x57
6.5x55
.375 Winchester
.30-06

I think all of these cartridges are extremely capable, as others have pointed out already. They are known to be so by true gun people but for some reason most people think of them as deer or youth cartridges. I threw in the old ‘06 because it seems this day and age most people think you can’t kill anything with one. I’m pretty sure our very own Guy would disagree.

7mm-08
7x57
6.5x55
.375 Winchester
.30-06

I think all of these cartridges are extremely capable, as others have pointed out already. They are known to be so by true gun people but for some reason most people think of them as deer or youth cartridges. I threw in the old ‘06 because it seems this day and age most people think you can’t kill anything with one. I’m pretty sure our very own Guy would disagree.

Underrated?

6mm Remington. Got one in 1974 and it has slain a lot of varmints, a couple of whitetail and a couple of mule deer. Similar to the 243, but perhaps just a little more juice. In the field no one could tell the difference. Oh, the trick for me is the 95 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip pushed at max velocity via RL-22.

30-06 Springfield. Goodness. Dad told me 50+ years ago that it was all the cartridge I'd ever need for North American big game hunting. Sage advice. He was right. But it sure has been fun playing with other cartridges over the years.

Guy

What can I not hunt today with the

6.5 x 55
300 H & H
375 H & H

The swede has been pushed aside by the Creedmore and it seems like years since I have seen anyone but myself using a 300 and 375 H & H.

My first rifle/shotgun was a Stevens combo. Not many use the combinations anymore but my first quail and rabbit fell to that little firearm and it still works today for my great grandson.

Europe I will be hunting with a 300 H&H this fall. At least that's what I am planning on a Elk Hunt in Colorado. I will be shooting Nosler 180gr AB. Life is good when it a Winchester Model 70.

Back