What are your Hunting Ethics???

jtoews80

Handloader
May 19, 2007
The New Hunters thread got me thinking.

What are your personal "Hunting Ethics"??

Are recorded calls OK? I think so.

Long Range hunting, how far is too far?
IMO, as far as you can shoot accurately(and HAVE practiced at) and have enough retained energy left to kill the game animal.

If you kill it, eat it or skin it. Don't kill needlessly.

If you hunt a game animal, you ought to respect it enought to learn about it's habits and how it survives. It's interesting and improves one's hunting skills.

As far as that goes, as was mentioned, hunt on the games level. NO Cheating: NO ATV's, no baiting(I don't consider hunting on alfalfa fields baiting), no dogs(this is personal opinion) on herbivores. If you wound it, track it until you've exhausted all options.

Private Land is a no go, it always makes me angry when people do it to me.

Just wanting to see what everybody thinks about how it should be done.

Just a few thoughts. Anyway, just kinds curious as to what different folks have to say about how they hunt

CC.

If you shoot it, you get it.
If its getting late and the sun is going down, I will not shoot it. There is always another day. For my hunting, if its dark, its not wise to be going up or down a mountain.
I like stalking. Its more challenging. THe closer you get, the better you chances for a clean kill.
IMO.

I agree pretty much with whats stated above. If baiting is legal in the state ya hunt in then I think it's a personal choice.
Joe

Sorry....won't play. I really don't like threads that are designed to get hunters pissing on each other. I have seen waaaaaay too many of these type of threads. "If you don't hunt the way I do, or the way I have decided is ethical, you are pond scum."

There are many types of hunting and hunting conditions/situations that I choose not to participate in, but I sure don't put down any hunter that is hunting legally.

We have enough enemies out there without attacking each other.......

Bob

Bob in TX":1k3kz4wr said:
Sorry....won't play. I really don't like threads that are designed to get hunters pissing on each other. I have seen waaaaaay too many of these type of threads. "If you don't hunt the way I do, or the way I have decided is ethical, you are pond scum."

There are many types of hunting and hunting conditions/situations that I choose not to participate in, but I sure don't put down any hunter that is hunting legally.

Bob

+1
As long as you're following the rules/laws of the state you're hunting in, I got no problems of how you go about it.

Richracer1":3e2m5ncw said:
Bob in TX":3e2m5ncw said:

Bob

+1
As long as you're following the rules/laws of the state you're hunting in, I got no problems of how you go about it.

++1

JD338

JD338, Bob in TX and Richracer1 have it. Watch for this one on the hit TV series, "When good posts go bad..." :grin:

Folks need to agree on terms here: there is ethics; and there is also esthetics. Sort of the difference between morality and beauty. ;)

jim

Bob in TX":11royvud said:

Bob

Nicely put Bob.

This is one time when discretion may indeed be the better part of valor, (if I understand that phrase correctly). +1 with Bob.

OK, fair enough. We do have enough people just dying to take shots at us outside the hunting and sporting community without starting internal debates and causing issues. That was not the idea behind this thread, but I can see where it could go wrong.

There are great many different areas to hunt and many more ways to hunt in them. I would agree that as long as the laws are obeyed and people hunt safely, great.

I had no intention of ruffling feathers here, my comments on how I hunt are based on how I hunt in my locale. I may adapt different methods elsewhere I suppose depending on the situation.
I understand that in different areas things have to be done differently.

For Example,

In Europe with a much more dense population dogs are used to bring game to a safe area to shoot as much as to locate animals, it makes sense. In the Eastern USA dogs were used to hunt varmints, seems safer than blazing away at them randomly. In alot of places in Canada it is legal to go to your hunting location on an ATV, but not to hunt off of it. Which is safer than walking for an hour or two before and after dark in the more remote areas.

Do what is legal and works.

CC.

"Sorry....won't play. I really don't like threads that are designed to get hunters pissing on each other. I have seen waaaaaay too many of these type of threads. "If you don't hunt the way I do, or the way I have decided is ethical, you are pond scum."

We have enough enemies out there without attacking each other......."

Bob

+++1

I was brought up hunting with my maternal grandfather and my dad, and my paternal grandfather hunted when he was younger. They all made sure I understood to respect the law, treat nature with respect, and give other hunters the respect they need. Sure some folks don't share the same views as I do, that makes us human. The way I hunt is within the law, is not destructive to nature, and I damn sure don't force my feelings down other hunters throats. My ethics, well their engrained from generations past and I hope as I pass them along to my son; that he respects the law, nature, and others.

When we keeps the kids in the fields and creeks = we keep 'em off the streets.

Hey CC,

I don't doubt your good intentions. These type threads just never have a good outcome.......

Thanks for your second post and good hunting!!

Bob

Back