What barrel length?

rigpig78

Beginner
Mar 21, 2007
Hopefully someone can help! I have a Winchester Model 70XTR in .22/250. I assumed it had a 24" barrel, but it actually has a 22" barrel. Will this affect velocities, accuracy etc. It is mainly used for shooting foxes, kangaroos and goats. I am thinking of re-barreling in the near future and am wondering what length barrel I should go for. Also what twist would be recommended as it currently has a 1-14 twist. Should I go for a 1-9 or 1-10 twist? :?:

If the rifle shoots well then just use it as is and forget about the velocities.

Figure about 25 fps per inch of velocity loss or gain from what ever data your looking at.

If I were to order a new Swift or 22-250 barrel I would get a 1-12" twist. If longer bullets than the usual .224"s are wanted then go to 6mm.

I've read a lot about what Jack O'Conner and P.O. Ackley have stated about barrel lenght and its relation on velocity. What I understand is you only need a barrel long enough to contain all the burned powder. For example, if you use a fast burning powder such as 4895 or varget you can get away with a shorter barrel. However, if you use 414 or 4350 then you may lose some velocity, becasue not all the powder is burned in the barrel!

Basically though, if it shoots to your liking then DON'T touch that barrel! However, if you do want to rebarrel the rife then I do with a 234 or 6mm. More over, (if you want I wildcat) a 6mm-250 would be great for you.

Good luck!!! Keep us posted!!!

I wouldn't worry too much about having a shorter barrel. If you have good accuracy, thats what counts.

If you do rebarrel, I would then go with a 24" 1:9 or 1:10 twist to stabilize the longer/heavier bullets.

JD338

JD338":3ram2c7k said:
I wouldn't worry too much about having a shorter barrel. If you have good accuracy, thats what counts.

If you do rebarrel, I would then go with a 24" 1:9 or 1:10 twist to stabilize the longer/heavier bullets.

JD338

+1

The powder that shoots fastest in a long barrel will also shoot fastest in a shorter barrel. Going to a faster powder when you shorten a barrel will not make up the difference. Probably lose 20-30 fps per inch or barrel removed.Rick.

Back