What bullet for 243 ackley

Ehgbyf

Beginner
Dec 10, 2013
I have a 243 ackley that shoots a 95 grain bullet around 3300 fps. I just worked up a load with a 95 grain SST. I shot a deer with it and did not get an exit hole. Bullet went to pieces. Does anybody have a suggestion for a replacement bullet? I don't get great accuracy with partitions and I would like to stick with the heaviest bullet possible. Thanks

I've run the 90 gr AccuBond thru my 6 mm Remington with good results with RL22.
Using a bonded bullet might be just the ticket in the AI in the event you get a close shot or if, as you mention, fragmentation is a problem. Other wise, my 6 mm really likes the 95gr BT. I seem to remember the recommended top end on BTs was 3200 fps so it would probably be fine. RL22 also on that load.
Dewey

...I've had really good luck w/ the 100gr. 6mm/.243 GrandSlams, maybe not the best BC, but very good accuracy & they do what they're supposed to do, expand & penetrate, over a wide impact window...

Dwh7271":am87t07j said:
Using a bonded bullet might be just the ticket in the AI in the event you get a close shot or if, as you mention, fragmentation is a problem. Other wise, my 6 mm really likes the 95gr BT. I seem to remember the recommended top end on BTs was 3200 fps so it would probably be fine. RL22 also on that load.
Dewey

Dewey nailed it. 6mm 90 gr AB.

JD338

I would have no issue with the e-tip. My reason for not mentioning it were I have no "on-game" personal performance data to go by with this bullet and I also noted that it needed a 1 in 9 twist(in that caliber per Noslers specs) or better and didn't know what you were working with.
On performance, perhaps Dr Mike or one of the others will chime in as they have used e-tips on game and could better relate their results.
I do load the e-tip (100 gr) in the 257 bee and it has proven very accurate in that load.
For what its worth, the AccuBond is a heckuva bullet and I would think for deer and such would be the ticket for your 243. :grin:
Dewey

One thing about the E-Tip, you known there's not going to be any jacket-core separation, not at all... No core, all jacket! :grin:

I've never tried them, but I like what I see from other posters, and can't help but think that slamming one of those 90 gr E-Tips downrange at 3200 - 3300 fps would work out real well for the hunter...

Guy

I use a 95gr. Ballistic Tip in my .243AI and they have always passed through.

George

90 gr Swift Scirrocco II, bonded, big mushroom, won't come apart, BC .419

Start them at .060" off

JHMO

Thanks woods. I have 2 boxes of them but could never get them to shoot but I was using 15 thousandths

Dwh7271":1u4kyw4i said:
Dewey

The 90 AB is a great shooter and should serve you well in the Ackley. It shoots real well in my boys 243. Only around 3100, but still plenty of zip and I know it'll crush a bone or two if it needs too. The 95 BT is another tough bullet as well. That is probably still my favorite 243 bullet.

Don't have a 243AI but that is my next planned rebarrel. Do use the 130 gr SSII's in my 6.5 rem mag and they are a hammer on hogs and coyotes. I couldn't get them to shoot that well until I did a seating depth test .015", .030", .045", .060", .075" & .090"

At .060" off it all came together with a good group, the lowest velocity extreme spread and the lowest velocity standard deviation. Have been using it for a couple of years now at the range and in the field and am totally confident in the consistency of POI

Real hammer on hogs and coyotes! Did I say that already? :grin:

I just don't see how a ballistic tip could stay together at that velocity.

What is your primary game with this rifle? I'd lean to a bonded bullet my self either the AB or IB( Hornady) if I couldn't get a 100gr Partition. To shoot.
Have you tried all the PT's ? 95 &85 grs aswell? Ttsx would be my fall back if none of these shoot well.

I use this gun for whitetail hunting. I just remember the bt's blowing up when I shot them out of my 270 years ago. Have they changed the way the hunting BT is made?

Thanks

Ehgbyf":3txmvvz3 said:
I just don't see how a ballistic tip could stay together at that velocity.

It doesn't matter what you think. :wink:

Fotis has seen seven pronghorns fall to my rifle using that bullet.

Ranges are usually 300yds. or more, with only two 200-ish kills.

George

I sure think you would be happy with the 90 gr. AccuBond. From the testing I have done at different ranges and what I have seen on game performance, I've been impressed. My buddy don shot a really large 6 point bull with a 180 gr. AccuBond in his 300 WSM and it worked perfectly. I have taken a deer with it in my 30-06 using the 165 gr. and my son Jeff shot his cow a couple years ago with a 180 gr. AccuBond in his 300 WSM. Perfect looking mushrooms and they did a really nice job.

300 WSM 180 gr. AccuBond at about 100 yards - one shot

Recovered bullet

My buddies bull and a 300 WSM 180 gr. Accbond at about 300yards.

The 90 gr. E-tip would also work great. My son has taken two antelope and a nice mule deer buck with one shot apiece and also one very nice cow elk with one shot at 350 yards with his 6mm Remington. The bullet hit her just tight behind her right shoulder in the lungs and angled slightly forward and exited her left shoulder dead center. She went about 20 yards and fell over. Pretty impressed with the E-tip also!!

Testing done with E-tips and Partitions in water.

Torture testing at 25 yards!!

The 95 BTs shoot very well out of my 243 AIs with a few crows, groundhogs, and a fox. Have yet to shoot a Whitetail with one. Just killed a nice size doe with the 105 Amax in the 6x47 Lapua. Complete pass through and hit a small buck that I didn't see behind her. Went through both of his hindquarters. Buddy finished him off with the 10mm.

Used the 70 BTs the most for varmints with great results :twisted:

Back