What bullet for hogs?

My 2 cents, for what it's worth.
I raised hogs for about 15 years. I shot and butchered with a 22LR.
If you can get the hog to stand still and eat at 3 feet it's great if you cut it's throat while it's knocked out. If not they have armor on the boars shoulders and 2 to 3 inches of fat that seals up wounds . Use something that will penetrate and expand. Whatever your favorite. PTs, TSX, Scirroco, Accubonds, Interbonds. I've killed a lot of big hogs with Partitions. I prefer Accubonds but any of the above will do fine. E-Tips would probably be the best choice in the Condor range in California.
Most missed shots on hogs aren't. Four of the boars I shot had bullets parachuted in the armor and old festering wounds. They are tough!
I use the 300 Wby or the 325 WSM. and still have to fire a finishing shot on some of them but I've also killed a bunch of Texas hogs with a 270 with 130 gr. Partitions.
Can't be too dead. Good Hunting
Elkhunt :grin:

I've shot or seen shot many Texas hogs. It is my distinct opinion that bullet type is more important than bullet weight or caliber. They don't seem to be tenacious of life like a whitetail is, but their hide is extremely tough on bullets. I would bet that most whitetail hunters who have never skinned a hog would be amazed (as I was) how thick that darned hide is.

So in a .270, I'd pick a Partition or AccuBond of any weight and aim for the shoulders. Good luck!

It's kind of funny. I used to read a bunch of stories in the gun mags about how hogs are bulletproof, mean as a cape buffalo, tenacious of life, and would try to extract revenge on you if you didn't put them down right away. Then I start hearing about how guys are shooting them with ARs in .223. Having never shot one, I have no idea, but when I do, I'll probably use my Whelen and 225 Partitions, but that's just because I like the rifle so much, not because I think you need that much gun.

260fan,

Either of the three bullets you list for use in the 270 Win (Partition, Scirocco, or Barnes TSX) will work on hogs.

BK":b2ffw2yx said:
Having never shot one, I have no idea, but when I do, I'll probably use my Whelen and 225 Partitions, but that's just because I like the rifle so much, not because I think you need that much gun.

The 35 Whelen with the 225 gr PT is a thumper. It will work perfectly.
Put the bullet where it needs to go and get out your knife. :wink:

JD338

JD Am I getting out the knife to slit his throat to finish him off? :lol: :grin:

From experience Pop was dead on with the 130 gr. Partition.
Now I believe the 140 gr. AccuBond would be my choice. The only hogs lately have been the 180 Partiton out of my (Used to own) 300 Wby. and the 200 gr. AccuBond out of my 325 WSM.
On my one Texas trip I killed 2 hogs, three whitetail deer and a blackbuck with 130 gr. partitions. 1 shot kills each. You can never go wrong with partitions and accubonds. (especially accubonds).
Just in case the term (armor) on a hog may not register to a few. It can be up to 3" thick and I have killed big boars with multiple bullets parachuted in the armor. The hog felt no ill effects and the bullets just festered and were walled off by the hog's body.
It's kind of like elk hunting. A significant number of missed shots weren't. The animal just carried off the effects of the hit to die far away.
Good Hunting
Elkhunt :grin:

Over 25yrs of hunting hogs in Louisiana, Arkansas and Mississippi I have used the following bullets and everyone of them did their job all dead hogs.

30-06:
165gr BT
165gr HPBT
150gr Power Point
165gr AccuBond

300Wby:
165gr BT
165gr HPBT
165gr AccuBond
180gr TSX

22-250:
55gr TBBC
53gr TSX

I have killed hogs with 30-30, 444Marlin, 45-70, 375Win, 260Win, 270Win, 22LR, 22Mag, 44mag, 357mag.

I like hunting hogs. :lol:

Ya 284 lovr, I think a lot 270 shooters over look the 160 Partition because it does not sizzle along at 3000 FPS. It,s a great bullet for the versatile .270. I have a secret supply of those 170 grain speer round nose bullets I think might put a hog in hog heaven also. I never hunted hogs but it sure is fun to hear guys talk about it.

Shoot your most accurate deer bullet,hogs do have thick skin however they are not bullet proof.From my exprience a good hit to the vitals is all it takes.I have taken pigs and hogs with a variety of calibers: 22wimag 223 rem w/50grBTs 270win 130rem corelokts&130BTs 25-06 100grBTs 243win 100gr Hornady interlocs 45acp 230grHydrashoks If you are unsure about shot placement,try to get closer,that is where the fun lies in hunting hogs.Largest hog i have taken was app. 350lbs was with the 45acp @ 10yds bullet penetrated to just past neck bone,instant kill.However a accubound would be good insurance.

Back